installin 2 os's

Status
Not open for further replies.

j3wcl@w

Baseband Member
Hi i was just wondering if anyone has ever installed 2 o/s on a 2 seprate hard drives cos i have 2/ 70 gg wd raptors and so wanna install xp on one and vista 64 on the other while i can just change the boot priority to change o/s.

Yes. I haev 3 drives and have had a OS on each of them. I have installed 4 different OS's at a time before.

No. Only 1 OS is running at any time. So there is no speed taken away from it.

Use a good boot manager too, such as XOSL. (google it)

That will make using your dual-OS configuration all the easier.

I think that he has the right idea. he using the bios or f12 to boot, so no boot loader is needed

Hi i was just wondering if anyone has ever installed 2 o/s on a 2 seprate hard drives cos i have 2/ 70 gg wd raptors and so wanna install xp on one and vista 64 on the other while i can just change the boot priority to change o/s.

j3wcl@w just make sure the xp hdd isn't connected while you are installing vista. connect it after the vista install

I have it the same way. I have XP on my main drive, and am dual-booting Vista/Ubuntu on a secondary drive, just for testing/messing around mostly.

Works perfectly fine, I have Ubuntu on one drive, windows xp on another, and soon to add windows vista as well on this machine. I have out of simplicities sake used Grub (GNU GRUB - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF)) since it is installed automatically with ubuntu. Properly setup even the windows bootloader will detect the two operating systems and will allow you to choose which one to load on startup. I believe the trick is to install vista first before xp. Check out this guide here for help: How to dual boot Vista and XP (with Vista installed first) -- the step-by-step guide

Like Makaveli213 said, since only one os is loading at a time, having two of them is not going to change anything other than free hard drive space on the second drive.

Hope this helps
- Jordan

some people don't like bootloaders. when I hit restart I don't want to have to watch a computer reboot then pick an OS. when I used to use a bootloader, I would restart windows xp, leave, come back then vista was on, even though I didn't want vista. if I change the default boot to xp, the opposite happens

our way, it will change the os only when you want it to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom