WD Mybook 500gb SLOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well now that SP1 is out for Vista I'll just have to get the rest of the bugs out of the machine. :p

As you can see the full desktop here gets a little cluttered at times from the various programs I run making it a little cramped when trying to focus on the item or items being displayed.

Oh really?

Most external drives believe or not run warmer inside the external housing without case fans like seen in desktops to see air moving around. Notebooks/laptops have cooling pads available. The usb models are more likely to see simple problems of not being seen or being slower to access by way of the usb over a direct plugin to a sata port or ide channel.

Most come with a Fat32 type factory partition for use on 2000 or higher NTFS native versions of Windows if not Mac. When Windows simply doesn't see the drive listed people assume the drive is toast instead of a need to see a fresh detection where the software installer was well as autoplay come up.

As for brands you can end up seeing rejects with any of them. Everything is mass produced these days. I was reluctant to go with any external model since I had and may still add another pair of larger sata drives in once the prices come down on the... WD GP 1T maybe 2T? models seen. But transferring large files between systems made that one of the reasons.

when her first wd mybook died afte 15 minutes of use, she went and got another, after my warning...when i was just looking to see if the problem was widespread...

so now 3 months later...it's dead dead...and it behaved in the way drives do when they've ran for about 5-8 years...sometimes comes on...sometimes takes 5 minutes to access...then 15...then 30....etc

I'm going to see if she still has it and see if I can slave it in this machine...hmm, maybe I'm not too late

Did you ever stop and think that it may not be the drive but the usb port used? I had to move one usb adapter lately for dsl when the connection was irradic and kept seeing IE page drop off. Once it was moved solid connection all the time.

If you try that and find a working drive check the partition type. If the Fat32 factory copies anything off of it anyways for safe keeping and registar the drive at WD for the software download. That's one thing required.

Once you have the replacement zip file onhand use the disk management tool to see the drive reformatted to NTFS and unpack the zip file onto the drive. Even Seagate as well as WD recommend that for Windows users since it makes the drive easier to be detected by 2000, XP, and Vista.

nah, it acted like that on every machine in the house ;) no matter the usb

now don't get me wrong...her husband has a wd mybook as well...and it's running fine...like 3 years now?

i wonder if their drives are fine and it has more to do with the my book cases...evenso...it would lead to negative conclusions on the reliability factor :D

If the original factory partition is still on sometimes those see a goof where a simple reformat from Fat to NTFS will see a lot of problems cleared up for 2000, XP, and Vista. These are all NTFS natives simply not seeing Fat through a usb port without the software installed.

If a drive is unplugged while the system is running that will gum up the works a little as well. The Disk Management gets information direct from the bios while Windows Explorer looks for a familiar partition type. This is one reason why it will be readily seen in the DM but not in MyComputer. Fat and NTFS are still different file systems.

I think one of the main things people forget often is simply defragging the external drives like you would an internal model once you start piling files onto it. When someone had asked about a newer version of Diskkeeper for Vista I came across the Auslogics Disk Defrag freeware that does quite well. Disk Defrag - Reclaim the Speed Of Your Disks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom