Sata 150

Status
Not open for further replies.

harley88

Baseband Member
hello

i have two WD 80G SATA150 7200RPM 8MB HDD in my comp now.

well i was thinking about putting a couple more harddrives in.

can it be done? can a pc dummy do it?

you fellows help me out if you can
thanks
harley

I could be wrong, but i think it is possible. If i'm not mistaken, your additional hard drives will become D drive then E drive and so on. If you have a cd drive that is D or E or what ever, the additional drives should take the next letter in the alphabet.:)

Keep in mind that your additional hard drives require power, so you might need a bigger power supply depending on you system. :)

oops, almost forgot. You will need a spot to connect them to your motherboard. my motherboard only has two IDE connectors, so the way i see it, i could only have 3 hard drives without using a RAID card. (master HD and slave HD on IDE #1 then master HD and CD slave on IDE#2.) If i remember right, some of the motherboards that have SATA interface have 4 spots to connect.

I hope this helps. :)

If it is a newer mobo than it should have 2-4 SATA controllers on the board. In that case you should also have 2 IDE controllers on the board of which one is being used. For each IDE controller you can have two IDE devices. So if you have 2 CD-Roms than you could add two more HD/CD-ROM's on the Secondary IDE controller (assuming that the first and second CD-ROMS are on the primary IDE controller). It should be two hard if you can find instructions somewhere (pictures help). Make sure that your IDE cables also have two connectors per cable or you won't be able to add anything. If you only have one CD-ROM than you could add 3 more HD/CD-ROMs if you wanted to. Like Hurcules said you have to watch your power when adding devices to your computer. Each HD that you add will use 25W and CD/DVD-ROMs will use 20-30W depending on what it does.

One more thing is that if you didn't build your computer to start with and you open the case than you void the warantee. So be carefull when your in your case and make sure you are grounded before touching any boards by touching your power supply first.

Let me know if that helps

EDIT: If you would like to figure out how many watts you need than you could check out this link http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

SATA 150

mourning

i want to thank dumdum and hercules for there response to my post , i really have no bus. mess ing with this pc.

ok , i have a asus P4C800E Deluxe and my IDE connector (blue)
on MB is emty. i was looking at getting a WD Special Edition 120GB 7200RPM HDD , well theres two at newegg one is a oem at 84.99 with three year warannty , and the other is a retail at 119.00 with a 1 year warannty. which one (if either) do i need to get?

oh i have a 500W power supply , is that enough?

thanks much
harley

Check whether your mobo have enough IDEs, if not, have to add a raid card.

500W is plenty for a P4 set up

-Your motherboard supports (correct me if i'm wrong)

-6 x IDE HDD/ODD
-4 x SATA HDD/ODD
-1 x IDE FDD

You have 3 IDE controllers plus a floppy controller. Plus you also have 4 SATA controllers.

I attached a picture of your mobo and highlighted the different connectors/controllers

Edit:
The difference between the two HDs is that one is OEM and one is Retail.

OEM-The hardware is all that you get...no retail box, no software, no extras

Retail-Comes with everything...manual, software, drivers, cables, retail box, etc.

Ask yourself if the extras are worth the difference in price. But an OEM with a 3 year warantee I would take anyday over a Retail with a 1 year for $30 more.

mourning

dumdum , thanks for your reply. took me a long time to get back (this old man has a lot of health problems).

if i plug my new HDD into the IDE (blue) controller , will i be set to go , or do i have to do something else?

thanks much
harley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom