Anandtech: B3 Phenom, Q9300, Wolfdale Reviewed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah 30% is pretty significant when you are talking about encoding, because files are usually very large.

Even just 720p encoding will take ages....and 30% is a LOT of time when you are talking about hours.

30% is definitely a significant difference, no doubt about it.
that depends on the usage of your rig, as well though.
i don't encode anything. i download music, burn cd's, give my sage-like advice here at TF (lol), maintain some of my clan's website, load my mp3 player, and play games. so, the difference for me is really not a big deal.
p.s. thanks for the mobo link maroon!

But if you are dealing with large files, then there would be much more than few seconds difference

For example, if it takes 1 hour for Phenom 9550 to encode a large DivX Movie, then Q6600 would take around 40 min because it is around 50% faster.

Well the 9550 is slow, if i were to buy a Phenom it would be the 9850 BE, which is the closet to the q6600 at its stock speed. I would then try to get it stable at 3ghz.

9850 BE supposed to be priced at 235.00 on the 7th of april.
unlocked multiplier woot.

i'll probably still buy an e8400-8500 if i upgrade before AMD comes ou twith their 45nm chips.

i would not feel bad AT ALL buyin the 9850 for that much money, if i had a mobo (GOD*&N evga!) that supported a phenom. still up in the air if my foxconn bios will support it. but looks like a big NO WAY from what i have read.
which is why i will likely be going intel, even though i consider them the devil lol, next time...i was all but promised (along with A LOT of other 590sli users) that this mobo would support a phenom. burn me like that and it's like, "shame shame...i wont be buying your products any more".

just go with what Intel has out now, but I for one am more than happy with what AMD has right now, because I only game and web surf, and an x2 4600+ will be fine for me
Have you got the 4600+ running yet?

Anyway, I agree; that 4600+ will run games well.
And I should know, since that CPU was mine :)

Haven't yet, my parents haven't bought any of the other stuff yet, but I think I might be earning the cash faster than they actually say yes (my grades are BS so they complain)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom