COMPAQ (Samsung) DVD-ROM SD612B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jibu

Solid State Member
Hello. I'm having problems with my DVD player. When I had Windows ME, the player was working fine, but now that I've upgraded to XP, it does not read DVDs. CDs work fine on it, however. DVDs don't show up at all, though. Does anyone know what the problem is? If it is driver related, where can I find a new driver? I have looked in a number of places, but I can't seem to find a valid driver. Please help. Thanks. :confused:

Have you tried Samsung's website? The manufacturer's website usually has updated driver's. Or you could try Compaq's website.

I've tried both the Samsung and Compaq website, but neither has any support for this particular dvd-rom drive.

Is the DVD player on the hardware compatibility list for Windows XP? Post the info on the DVD and I will try to find something for you.

cajun33 said:
Is the DVD player on the hardware compatibility list for Windows XP? Post the info on the DVD and I will try to find something for you.

Hey cajun,

This is what is stated in the driver properties for the COMPAQ DVD-ROM SD-612B:

Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Date: 7/1/2001
Driver Version: 5.1.2535.0
Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Publisher

(These are the same properties that appear for my separate CD-RW Drive, so I believe these were the default drivers installed by XP when the new OS was installed.)

Thanks in advance,
-Jibu

cajun33 said:
I got this link off of another forum, unfortunately this seems to be a common problem with your DVD-ROM, try new drivers from this site: http://www.cdrom-drivers.com/drivers/83/83781.htm

Hi Cajun,

I have already tried that driver before. When I download it, it is unknown exactly how to open the file. There are no instructions as to what to do with it after it is downloaded. Could you tell me what to do with it after I have downloaded it?

Start|Control Panel|System|Device Manager - Right click on device, select properties, Drivers, update driver.

cajun33 said:
Start|Control Panel|System|Device Manager - Right click on device, select properties, Drivers, update driver.

Yes, I understand that, but that only allows me to load .ins files. The file you previously referred me to was cdrom.sys. It will not allow me to load that driver. I believe this file is PART of the driver for the drive, as most of the cd-drives have this file in their list of drivers, but without the .ins driver file, I don't know how to load this file. Please help. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom