Trouble with XP Clean Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

marconis

Baseband Member
I had a bunch of spyware on my PC. After countless attempts to get rid of them via scanners, and manually with the help of a knowledgeable friend, and getting no success, my only option was to do a clean install of XP. I did it, and little did I know I had to delete the partitions to have a fresh install. So, I did it again. However, when I tried to delete a partition, it said unable to because it contained files needed for setup. I read up on how to delete them, and I was led to michaelstevenstech.com, where I'd download a W98 file to write on to a floppy disk and boot from there. When I try to write the file onto the floppy, at around 87% I get an error that says something like Error head track 70 (along those lines). Am I doing something wrong? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, from how to write the disk correctly, all the way up to doing a clean install.

Thanks a lot in advance.

I will not be able to access that web page on the computer I need to do it on. For some reason when I re-installed Windows, my internet got all messed up and I can't connect to my router. I still haven't fixed it yet.

...my only option was to do a clean install of XP...

Did you do a clean install using a retail Windows XP Installation disc, or system recovery?

...However, when I tried to delete a partition, it said unable to because it contained files needed for setup...

Where did you attempt to delete a partition? Did you try it in Windows XP setup? i.e:

image19gn7.jpg

Retail disk, and I tried it in the Windows setup.

When you highlighted the partition and pressed 'D' on the keyboard to delete the partition, did you press enter to confirm the deletion when the following screen appeared?:

setuppartitiondeletesysyo7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom