Anandtech: B3 Phenom, Q9300, Wolfdale Reviewed

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol :D

eventually the q6600 will start trouncing the others in gaming, so might as well pick it up ;)

and then give me your board for a good price :D

hold on guys i got a good question i need answered. Ok, the high-end Phenoms have a 2.0GHz HyperTransport, correct? I also read somewhere that the Phenoms have 3600MHz, 2600MHz, n whatever higher speeds on like newegg for example?

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

what gives man?

i mean, shouldnt that 2.0GHz give it a huge boost or something? What am i missing here? The memory controller is in iimo the biggest choker to AMD's performance!

as for quads supporting games, what current games that support it? I have Hellgate: London, which is the most recent game i got.

hold on guys i got a good question i need answered. Ok, the high-end Phenoms have a 2.0GHz HyperTransport, correct? I also read somewhere that the Phenoms have 3600MHz, 2600MHz, n whatever higher speeds on like newegg for example?

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

what gives man?

i mean, shouldnt that 2.0GHz give it a huge boost or something? What am i missing here? The memory controller is in iimo the biggest choker to AMD's performance!

as for quads supporting games, what current games that support it? I have Hellgate: London, which is the most recent game i got.

I think UT3 is the game that gets the most out of a quad core

what gives man?

im kinda confused by the question, but lets see if this is what you mean...
the current x2 chips have the 2ghz (1000 actual) hypertransport bus.
the phenoms have 3.6ghz (1800 actual) hypertransport bus.
i dont understand what you mean by the memory controller being the "choker"...? can you rephrase that please?
the current x2's can run at like 750-800 HT bus (or even less really) and suffer no real loss of performance. ie the availible hypertransport isn't usually fully utilized.
if you were using a VERY memory-intensive program or programs the higher HT bus on the phenoms would make a significant difference.

im kinda confused by the question, but lets see if this is what you mean...
the current x2 chips have the 2ghz (1000 actual) hypertransport bus.
the phenoms have 3.6ghz (1800 actual) hypertransport bus.
i dont understand what you mean by the memory controller being the "choker"...? can you rephrase that please?
the current x2's can run at like 750-800 HT bus (or even less really) and suffer no real loss of performance. ie the availible hypertransport isn't usually fully utilized.
if you were using a VERY memory-intensive program or programs the higher HT bus on the phenoms would make a significant difference.

here, check the official specs:

AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 Quad-Core Processors: Model Number and Feature Comparisons

the memory controller is 128-bit.

thats more than enough.
it can have up to like 17+gb/s memory bandwidth (from the memory controller alone), which is like 5gb+ more than x2's...which suffer no problem even approaching all of that.
and the L1-L2 D-cache bus effective capacity is DOUBLE that of athlon 64's (from 64 bit to 128 bit), which is a tremendous improvement and obviously way more efficient.
latency is much more important in the memory controller than bandwidth in any event.
a graphics card memory bus is not the same as a cpu's memory bus...a cpu has multiple levels of cache (i'm sure you are aware of this). maybe that's why it seems low?

if the q6600 is cheaper, i would buy it. i would want an SLi mobo, which i cant seem to find. but then, im in a hurry at the moment.

Newegg.com - ASUS P5N-D LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

This is an inexpensive motherboard with an SLI support.

34.8/26.9 = 1.29 ....or 30% more. In this case lower is better so that means it took the 9550 30% more time to do the same work.

...beats me how maroon got 50%.

Yea it is 30% (if you are talking about photoshop), I just did math mistake

But 30% is still a big difference

However, I was right in DivX encoding. Q6600 was 50% faster

Yea it is 30% (if you are talking about photoshop), I just did math mistake

But 30% is still a big difference

However, I was right in DivX encoding. Q6600 was 50% faster

When it comes to being only a few seconds...its not really that much of a difference. I can understand 20 or 30 seconds...but 8? Gimme a break man.

I dont see what peoples obsession with bashing Amd over and over is.

When it comes to being only a few seconds...its not really that much of a difference. I can understand 20 or 30 seconds...but 8? Gimme a break man.

But if you are dealing with large files, then there would be much more than few seconds difference

For example, if it takes 1 hour for Phenom 9550 to encode a large DivX Movie, then Q6600 would take around 40 min because it is around 50% faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom