Dual Boot XP + Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tons of experience. Yes you are right. Install it on the 2nd drive and it should auto detect yoru XP install and give you the dual boot setup after it finishes the install.

If not jsut stop on back and i can help you get it working right.

Might want to partition the drive though. Give Vista only about 50GB-75GB. No need for all 320GB.

I know you have tons of experience. That's why you are the Microsoft guru here. :)

Why not give it all? Also, my rig can handle it right?

What about uninstalling? Do I just use Gpart to wipe the drive since the bootloader is on the second drive.

What about the MBR (no experience)? I know XP's is on the first drive. If I uninstall Vista, will I need to do fixmbr?

You can. But remember Vista does not have a repair option. So if something goes wrong you will have to format and reinstall the whole OS. So you will lose all data on there. If you are fine with that then by all means use it all.

Well, this is just a experiment with a empty drive and with Vista.

If it goes wrong, I'll just nuke it with Gparted. But what about uninstalling?

I know you have tons of experience. That's why you are the Microsoft guru here. :)

Why not give it all? Also, my rig can handle it right?

What about uninstalling? Do I just use Gpart to wipe the drive since the bootloader is on the second drive.

What about the MBR (no experience)? I know XP's is on the first drive. If I uninstall Vista, will I need to do fixmbr?
Answered the question of space. So let me move on from there. You rig can handle it you meet the specs. But to be honest you might want more RAM. 1GB is fine but you will notice that it is slower than XP.

As for the uninstall. Just use GParted to wipe the drive. As for the MBR after you format jsut use the XP CD and the REcovery Console and so a fixboot, fixmbr. All done.
Well, this is just a experience with a empty drive and with Vista.

If it goes wrong, I'll just nuke it with Gparted. But what about uninstalling?
If it is just a experiement with Vista then give it all. If it goes wrong GParted will be your friend. I explained the uninstall option above. :p

If it's just an experiment, you could always use VMWare or an equivelant. I have one set up for Vista right now...you just don't get to use Aero, and I haven't quite figured out how to get the internet to work on it...

ok guys. Thanks for all the help. I'll see if I can load it on tonight.

VMWare is just a software Windows emulator on XP right? But is there slow downs? I want to have a genuine go at it so I want it to go on the hard drive.

VMWare is a Virtual Machine where you only use part of your resources to test out things. I dont use it cause i do not like having half of my resouces on my Main OS then half on my Vitrual System.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom