Some VB help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteTiger

Solid State Member
well i learned a good bit of VB in school, and now i want to make my own game. It will be a long-term project and probably take a month or so to complete. But i need to know one thing: How can i create/read/write to a .ini file? I found it on a VB tutorial but it was annoying...too much stuff...if someone could post it for me in "simple" terms and reasons behind why you would do each thing...that would be very helpful :D

If your wondering i'm making a poker game with multiple games to choose from, but single player mode only. You will also be able to have an account, so that you can keep playing with whatever "money" you win. Nothing real amazing or anything...it will be easy to edit the files by hand...at least untill i make it look like a puzzle... :p

If you can help, i'd be much appreciated :D

of course :D

i'm also going to have regular 5 card, a few seven stud games, and omaha too.

in 5 card you will be able to pick the wilds, or have none.

now THIS is embarrasing...

I'm working on the signing in part, and i want to have password confirm. How do you compare strings? i tried <> but thaty didnt seem to work too well...

ok i got that worked out but now i have a new problem:

when trying to create my accounts it says "Type Mismatch". I'm using the "ret = WritePrivateProfileString(lpAppName, lpKeyName, lpBuffer, lpFileName)" code to write to the file. It doesnt like any of the variables except lpAppName.

Any ideas?

well i've decided to start with the game part now...and i have yet another error.

A friend that knows VB pretty well is coming over today to help fix my sorry @$$ code.

Anyway, I'm working on 5 card at the moment, and when its done i'll release it as a beta, just with that one form. Anyone wanna be a beta-tester? All input is much appreciated.

And if you have any ideas/suggestions, please feel free to post them

This will be a FREE game, and i plan to distribute it as much as i can...if you like poker please let me know if it's any good when i'm done.

I am new to this forum but I have been reading and would like to help out, if you have msn messenger or yahoo let me know and maybe we can communicate and I could help you with this poker game in visual basic. With regards to it not liking the variables, have u got option explicit declared at the top of the vb program in the coding, if so , it will be because of that and the fact that you probably need to declare each of your variables ;)

yea i have MSNM and AIM...dont use yahoo...too much to keep track of...

the other guy on the project quit saying it would be easier to do in java but i dont know anything about forms in java...so i cant do it that way...at least for a few months...

but i do have a few good ideas, like how to arrange the deck order, ect...if you wanna help i'm welcome to any/all help availible...thanks

help?

if you could email me or let me know your yahoo or messenger so we can get in touch some how that would be great !!

I dont use AIM, so that would be useless !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom