Linksys cable/dsl router

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackwrx

In Runtime
I just bought a Linksys cable/dsl router and hooked it up to two computers. The internet seems to work for about a minute, and then stops. If I push the reset button it may work again for about a minute, but it keeps stopping. Then I called Linksys's tech support and the guy took me through a bunch of steps that basically did nothing, and he told me he was going to e-mail the firmware in about 10 minutes. It's been around an hour now and I don't know what to do. Should I take it back to the store and tell them it doesn't work, or keep messing with it? It shouldn't be this hard, it's supposed to be plug and play.

is the DHCP server option enabled on the router? if so, u can just goto Start/Settings/Network connections... right click 'Local area connction'/propertyes... select (TCP/IP)protocall/Properties... and select 'Automatically obtain IP'
-----------------------------------------------
if the DHCP is not enabled, u can enable it.. or use a static ip on your comps with DHCP disabled.. post on witch u would like to do, or if its fixed already.

I have selected automatically obtain i.p. address and the same thing still happens. The model number for it is BEFSR41 and it's version 3. I think I'm just going to take it back to microcenter and get a new one though. It obviously shouldn't be this difficult and I'm kinda of tired of screwing with it. Thanks for your help.

Duuf router, either update firmware, or return

To make sure you have a proper lease time on an IP address check how long youve got.

Run CMD, or MSDOS, Go to run then CMD, or start programs accesories, MSDOS.

Then type ipconfig /all

Have a look at how long you have, if its only as 1 min it will kick you off, but normally i have about 30 years!!!!!

Note.... At bottom it says "Lease expires,......Monday 23rd April 2039 etc"

If that aint the problem the just return it, get a belkin one, its better.

i have the exact same problem. So it might not be a problem with the router itself.. maybe it is the model.

I returned it and the new one I had actually had the same problem. After screwing around for another hour or so, I decided I had no other options other than to download the newest firmware for it. 15 seconds to download it, 30 seconds to install it, everything works perfect. I feel like an idiot for spending hours messing with it, almost an hour on the phone with linksys tech support and then taking the other one back when it was that simple. I'm surprised the guys at linksys didn't just tell me to download the firmware, but whatever. Anyone else having this problem go to linksys.com and download the new firmware. Thanks for all the replys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom