Problem installing OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guff1988

In Runtime
I bought a random $200 comp back last june for my cousin to get on myspace/youtube and use aim with but its been sitting in a corner ever since. The problem is that when i try to install Windows on it It keeps telling me files are missing and gives me 3 options [retry] [abort] [skip]. If i hit retry like 10 times it will work sometimes but other times it just crashes the computer. I have tried 2 different XP disks and always the same. I have tried 2 different CD-Rom drives as well. I have no idea whats wrong with it.

Specs
Sempron 64 Socket 754 3000
FoxConn Socket 754 board
Radeon 9600xt
Corsair 512mb DDR400
WD Caviar 80gb hdd PATA

When going to install XP make sure you select the full format option. The file system on the drive is corrupted and that is why it gives you these errors. If you want you can also download the livecd version of GParted version 0.33 and use that as well.

i reformat the drive every time and still does this...i took the drive and put it a different computer after i gave up and the drive appears to be working fine as an extra storage drive. How can i test it?

Go under My Computer (Or Computer in Vista) right click select properties. There under the Tools tab you will see Error Checking. Run that on the drive. Might require a restart.

Go under My Computer (Or Computer in Vista) right click select properties. There under the Tools tab you will see Error Checking. Run that on the drive. Might require a restart.

ok i gotta do some cable management and add this dvd rom so ill do it after i reboot

Tried a different HDD same problem. What if I installed windows on a hardrive and slipstreamed the required chipset drivers for the foxconn board into it? Could I then put that HDD into the system in question and everything be ok?

what if i tried sata...cuz im thinking it might be the IDE channel

You can not install the OS on another system then insert it into your system and have it work.

You can try SATA. Wouldnt hurt none.

I bought a random $200 comp back last june for my cousin to get on myspace/youtube and use aim with but its been sitting in a corner ever since. The problem is that when i try to install Windows on it It keeps telling me files are missing and gives me 3 options [retry] [abort] [skip]. If i hit retry like 10 times it will work sometimes but other times it just crashes the computer. I have tried 2 different XP disks and always the same. I have tried 2 different CD-Rom drives as well. I have no idea whats wrong with it.

Specs
Sempron 64 Socket 754 3000
FoxConn Socket 754 board
Radeon 9600xt
Corsair 512mb DDR400
WD Caviar 80gb hdd PATA

Try changing the following IDE/SATA cables or IDE/SATA slots on motherboard or Ram

Then strip the computer back to bare basics.

If the problem is still there, then I think you have a problem with your motherboard.
It's either a problem with Ram.

Try changing the following IDE/SATA cables or IDE/SATA slots on motherboard or Ram

Then strip the computer back to bare basics.

If the problem is still there, then I think you have a problem with your motherboard.
It's either a problem with Ram.

I have tried sata at all...im bout 90% that its a bad IDE channel.
Ill get an ATA to SATA converter and see if that helps(i think my friend has one he isnt using)
if it doesnt ill scrap everything but the hdd/cdrom/case and move on

2 words

bad ram.

this is caused by 3 reasons. you already eliminated the other 2 (dirty or scratched disc, cheap cd drive)

run memtest86 so you can verify this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom