Another fan needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PizzatheHut06

Daemon Poster
I have an Athlon XP 2500+, not overclocked, and an Antec case with 1x120mm fan located at the back near the top, next to the PSU. My temps are roughly 41 C when idling and go up to about 53 C when gaming. Is that sufficient, or would another 120mm fan be in order? If so, how much would that reduce the temperature? The case has a spot at the front bottom for another fan.

That temperature is OK but it could be less. Try getting a vacuum and sucking the junk out of the fan in the back. Or you can get the air in the can stuff at like office max or office depot for cheap. Also make sure that the fan is pointed into space. If you have it setup right against a wall or something like 2"-5" the fans doing nothing because it will just blow right back in. I recommend you have at least 1' of space between something and the fan. You can also download mother board monitor:

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=311

This program will monitor your system temperature and you can set it to shutdown if it gets too hot.

Well first of all did you do what I said in the last post? That should do it. Also, if anything you don't want a fan blowing air in, you want a fan blowing air out.

I've heard to have one blowing in at the bottom, and one blowing out at the top, something to do with the hot air rising. Does that do anything?

lets see here.....consider the source of the heat....oh yeah, the CPU....gotta cool the main source first, so consider getting a fan that puts out a higher cfm rating placed on a copper heatsink. mine has a 38cfm rating w/copper heatsink and i get 34c idle, 49-50 max load (thats after hours on end gaming) with my case temp on the average of 29c through out

Always have a fan on the intake as well as the exhaust....it is common sense. Think about it...CPU makes heat, so yes, exhaust will remove some of that heat. But, what is cooler than the inside of the case? The air outside the case, duh....so if you have an intake with an exhaust, your temps will go down a little more...and you don't need a 120mm fan...a good 80mm is fine. Intake should be at the front bottom and exhaust at the top back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom