System Restore

Status
Not open for further replies.
how do you disable system restore

also, my computers kinda laggy...should i just reformat?? and is there a way to erase everything on the drive and just reinstall XP fresh??

You can boot from your cd, then format, then reload windows.

To stop system restor, click on my computer, control panel, system, then click teh system restore tab, then click disable. The computer will take a while to sort its self out cause it will delte files, then it will b ok.

would reformat delete anything on my hard drive?? and would it probably solve my problem?? like if i have a virus or spyware or whatever (i use avast and adaware and spybot)

In terms of the "stated" capacity of a drive, manufacturers always pretty much state that in terms of millions or billions of bytes "decimal", as has already been said here. And if a drive is advertised as (say) 120GB it will in fact have an "unformatted" capacity of "at least" 120,000,000,000 bytes. And if internally all drives were created eqally then they would all have the same "formatted" capacity, the same "usable" capacity, and they all would have the same capacity when you stated it in terms of a megabyte equalling 1,048,576 bytes. But all drives are not created equal.

The drives of different manufactures, even drives within different lines of the same manufacturer, can and do have diffrences in terms of things like the number of platters, ariel density, etc, etc. And its because of these differences that, say, a 120gb drive from Maxtor ends up showing more usuable space than one from Western digital. If any two drives of the same "true" size, regardless of manufacturer, are formatted they will always yeild identical capacities. You don't loose more with WDC than Maxtor (say). The reason for any difference is strictly due to how many actual sectors (logical blocks) are on a drive in the first place.
I said above, a drive advertised as 120gb will always have 120gb (decimal) of capacity. But, it may have more (and always has a bit more). Its this excess capacity originally in the drives that makes for the differences.

Generally this excess is not advertised, rather the drives capacity is stated as a rounded down (never up) number. So a drive that in fact may have 122gb of capacity will just be advertised/sold as a 120gb. Likewise, a drive with 120.5gb capacity will also be sold as a 120gb. In both cases the consumer is getting (at least) a 120gb (decimal) drive, in fact they are getting more than a 120gb drive. Its just that in one case vs the other the "more" is larger. As I said, generally there is no stating/advertising outright of this excess. When drives were smaller you use to see "odd"/fractional sizes mentioned more, but today...

Maxtors traditionally have more usable sectors in their drives of a given size than, say, Seagate or WDC (Segate and WDC tend to be pretty much the same). So for example... A maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120gb drive has 240,121,728 usuable sectors (at 512 bytes per sector). That means it has an unformatted capacity of 122,942,324,736 bytes. A seagate Baracuda 7200.7 Plus 120gb drive has 234,441,648 usable sectors, yielding a capacity of 120,034,123,776 bytes. Finally, the WDC Cavier WD1200JB SE 120gb has 234,441,648 usable sectors , yielding a capacity of 120,034,123,776 bytes. All three drives have a capacity of at least 120gb (decimal), or more. The Seagate and WDC have the same capacity, but the Maxtor has more. Now it doesn't matter whether you are talking capacity in terms of formatted or unformatted, decimal or not, etc, the relative capacities will remain the same. You don't loose more with one brand vs the other. You simply start out with more (in the case of Maxtor).

So things may be a bit confusing, but when a consumer buys a xzy size drive they are getting at least that size drive no matter what (in decimal terms anyway). And since it is only being advertised as xyz in size one cannot really complain if they get more than that. It may be better/reasonable though to state things in terms of "formatted" capacity perhaps, but...

I copied that from another place (much easier if someone has already done the type'n) anyhow, essentially what this means is this: 120GB drive is listed this way because when you convert this into actually decimal number 1,048,576 bytes per megabyte and 1,073,741,824 bytes per gigabyte. So, let me score up a table here for you:

DECIMAL (as shown on HDD boxes by the manufacturers):

There are 1000 bytes per kilobyte (KB).
There are 1000 kilobytes per megabyte (MB) or 1,000,000 bytes.
There are 1000 megabytes per gigabyte (GB) or 1,000,000,000 bytes per gigabyte.

so a 120 gig HDD has 120,000,000,000 bytes in decimal.

BINARY (the ACTUAL amt)

There are 1024 bytes per kilobyte.
There are 1024 kilobytes per megabyte or 1,048,576 bytes.
There are 1024 megabytes per gigabyte or 1,073,741,824 bytes per gigabyte.

Now, take the 120,000,000,000 listed and devide into 1,073,741,824 and we get 111.75870895385742~

OR round it to 111 GB.

i already know that...thats not really my problem tho...

my problem is that my hdd space is being taken up by something after system restore...

well, u said that you had about 40 or 50 gig that you know of. and had around 60 gig remaining. that would add up to about 110 gig, so it sounds about right.

yea but i'm not sure if I originally had more space left....

so if I reformat, will it erase everything??

also, i heard that i can put my files on the partioned drive or something and it'll back it up while i reformat?? is this true??

thx alot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom