WRT54G CONSTANT DCs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydzy

In Runtime
*posted on whirlpool too, hoping for millions of responses, lol*

As stated in the title, my router keeps cutting out for like 10 seconds and then BAM! It is back on and pretending nothing ever happened. This wouldn't be much of an issue, but I'm playing online games and using VoIP programs, so it disconnects me from those and takes around 3 or 4 mins to get back into everything.

I heard it getting overheated was a problem, so I took it out of the hub, and set it up in my room. Heat is definitely not the problem. It just disconnected again 30 minutes ago, so I had to cancel out of my game and come make a post here, haha.

It isn't just the internet, it is the entire network. Like, I was steaming music from my computer to my xbox, and it crashed for 10 secs, stopping music and again, taking a min or two to reconnect each other.

This means it aint my ISP i presume, due to the home network dying too.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND...

My side question, is... I have this router that isn't wireless, but worked 100% before I moved house and got this new wireless one. Now I connect to the network through cable, it is my dad / sister that uses wireless. Wondering, can I connect the old router in to my computer and the wall, and then stick the new router into my old one for the wireless only?

So basically, if the new router dies for 10 secs, I won't get disconnected, only the wireless down for a bit.

Thanks,
Sydz

==========
oh, are there any tests that can be run to see which part is going wrong with the router, cause I just thought of something horrible. my house is completely networked, big hub downstairs, so my router is actually connected to the wall through a cat5 cable that is just going into a switch down the bottom.

i'm really hoping that it isn't something wrong with my hub, or i'll kill myself... well not really, but still, i think i might kill someone.
==========

Have you tried contacting Linksys' customer support? There are pretty good. They are not in the US, so I hope you get someone you can understand, but I have had great luck with that. I have a WRT54G v2.

Mine acted up Sunday. I had connection through the modem, but nothing through the router. i went through the regular stuff, and then called them. Turns out that a settting had changed. Chick tried to tell me someone had changed it, but I am the only one who knows how to access the router, much less how to change anything. I let it lie and thanked her for walking me through it all. Actually, the last time I called the guy had me set the router to that setting, so i don't know what the difference was between Sunday morning and Sunday after noon, but it works now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom