Got time? Help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indobos

In Runtime
Ok guys I am worked with jobs ATM. So I am asking for some help. I have no clue with mobile processors or graphics or anything mobile for that matter. My daughter is going to graduate next month and I wanted to get her a laptop as a grad gift. The thing is I don't have much to spend and I am not sure what she will need on a laptop for college. Could you please recommend me a laptop for around the $500 dollar range? Any help in this matter would be appreciated.

only use windows....or any non mac machine...keep your child normal and not weirdy thinking they'll be some type of elitist ;)

Acer Aspire 5315-2713 Notebook PC - Intel Celeron Dual-Core T1400 1.73GHz, 802.11bg Wireless, 1GB DDR2, 120GB HDD, DL DVDRW, 15.4" WXGA, Windows Vista Home Basic LX.ALC0Y.336 at TigerDirect.com

only a celeron, but it's ok for schoolwork....maybe :D

ok mr microsoft fanboy........

mac's are really nice, but yeah a dell vostro would be great.

I really wish I had my EeePC going through college. It's really small and really light. Being small, it's easy and quick to take out and put away, and it doesn't take up a lot of desk space. Being lightweight, it's incredibly portable, and so easy to just pick up with one hand. And because it's cheap, if it gets destroyed or stolen, you won't have to freak out as much as if someone walked off with a $2000 laptop. Battery life is almost twice of my full size laptop.

I have a pretty nice 15.4" HP laptop which I thought was fairly portable. But it rarely left the house since it was too much of a pain to lug around. Now that I have this EeePC, it goes with me everywhere I go, and easily fits in my glovebox in my car.

However, if your daughter isn't concerned with size, weight, and cost, then don't get the EeePC, since those are the primary reason people buy them. It's drawbacks are:

You need to buy an SDHC card if you plan to install any heavy-duty applications, because the 2GB/4GB/8GB drive is not sufficient for advanced use. I have a 16GB card that holds a lot of my data.

It's also got a tiny keyboard that takes some practicing. I've had my EeePC for about a month and a half now, and I can touch type with ease. But when I first got it, it was a challenge.

And then of course there's the fact that the screen is incredibly tiny. It's a nice screen though, with a much higher pixel density than most laptop screens. But at 800x480, some applications don't fit.

Other issues are very minor, like processor speed. Some people laugh when they hear I bought a new laptop with a 900MHz Celeron that comes underclocked to 630MHz. But it performs incredibly well, and boots up faster than my desktop or laptop (which are dual core and are much more powerful).

If you decide to get a full size laptop, don't get anything larger than 14.1", especially for school.

Macs arnt nice they are like Pop and rap in the music world..... commercial, for the masses, dumbed down and noob friendly. Which in turn means they arnt as diverse, mainly just for looks and style with a colourful little gui to go with it that really means nothing whatsoever other than "We put some graphical things in our operating system to make the non-computer savy person think its better than its really is". :eek:

um... there is no arguing that os x beats down xp and vista like a sick dog as far as functionality goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom