[VISTA] Windows Update error 80004002/SP1 Internal Error 0x800703F0

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohgodhalp

Solid State Member
I haven't been able to do Windows Update in over a year due to error code 80004002. I have tried to re-register the .dll files associated with Windows Update as many sources have suggested to do as a fix... but it hasn't worked for me. I just tried installing SP1 to fix this problem... but I get Internal Error 0x800703F0. One of the suggestions/fixes to this Internal Error is to check Windows Update to see if you are offered SP1 by windows update... but that's the thing... I can't update AT ALL... every time I try to check for updates it gives me error code 80004002. I don't know what to do, this has been driving me absolutely insane ever since this problem showed its ugly face.

If anyone knows how to fix this PLEASE let me know. I will worship whomever can get around this BS. :C

EDIT: Also - I'm running Vista Ultimate 32-bit, and yes it's a legit copy.

You install is gone south. You will have to backup and do a fresh install.

Almost all of the suggestions i am seeing say the same thing you said you tried. There is this solution that has about 5 or 6 different .dll's to re-register have you done all of them?

Re: Windows Vista error code 80004002 - TechNet Forums

From a couple of other sites they have returned results of RAM or CPU overheating. So have your run Memtest86 to test your RAM? There is a suggestion to try this app out as well:

Download Dial-a-fix 0.60.0.24 - Dial-a-fix is a collection of known fixes which addresses issues with Windows Update, Microsoft Installer, and more - Softpedia

That might help you. There is also this solution that i have found:

Code:
  Go to Start, run, type services.msc <hit enter>
Make sure that COM+ Event System is set to Automatic and is started, and COM+ System Application is set to Manual, and isn't started.
Then - download and install the update from here manually: [url=http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=932494]When you use Automatic Updates to scan for updates or to apply updates to applications that use Windows Installer, you experience issues that involve the Svchost.exe process[/url] (WindowsUpdate Agent)
You will probably have to run the above software with the /wuforce switch.
Change to the directory that the update resides in (after you have downloaded it) from a command prompt - and type:
WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce <hit enter>

That might help. That is about all i can find right now. Hope something in there helps.

I've tired everything you've suggested except a fresh install... which I really don't want to do because it's... well... tedious... annoying... tiresome... I could go on for days. I have so many things installed right now that I'd have to reinstall even if I were to back everything up.

*sigh*

You tried that 3rd party application from Softpedia already? If so then your only hope is a reinstall. As much as it sucks that is all that is left. Sorry.

Oh wow... after reinstalling Partition Magic 8 I get this error every 30 seconds...

wtfuz0.png

Yeah your install is bunk. Sorry but the only option you have is to re-install. If you are lucky you might be able to get rid of that if you turn off UAC.

UAC? You must be kidding... I disabled that P.O.S. as soon as Vista was installed on this rig. UAC would delete anything I saved from the internet regardless of whether or not it was malicious. ****... it'd delete text files moments later after saving them.

I used to think Vista wasn't so bad, but now I see it's truly the epitome of all that is failure... I don't even have the motivation to reinstall Vista... if I'm going to reinstall anything it'd be XP again...

Thanks for your fast responses, I appreciate it greatly.

Now see that is where you are wrong. Google for the Pwn2Own competition that is going on right now. Vista was not hacked as of the end of Day 2. So it is a big step forward. The problem is not Vista. It is your setup. From the sound of it your install has been corrupt since the beginning. That is not Vista's fault. I have used it for a long time now and i have never come across any of these issues.

Vista is not the epitome of failure. Maybe if you had taken the time from the start to correct the problem and not just ignore it and think it would fix itself then maybe you would not be where you are today.

Sorry to get harsh but that is the truth. I am so sick of people slagging off Vista for no reason. It is a PC OS. It only does what it is told. If it does not operate right it is a User Error. You can not tell me that the OS is junk cause it doesn't work for you yet it works for Millions of other people with no issue. That is just not possible.

Again sorry for that but it has to be said. Vista is a great piece of software when used correctly. I have not had a single issue with the OS that i did not create myself.

You weren't being harsh. I completely understand your post from your perspective. But when I myself installed the O/S and it's in the condition it's in right now when I'm VERY careful about what I do to my computer... that just ****es me off. I'm very unforgiving when it comes to things like that, I am generally an impatient person with a short-fuse. So of course I'll say Vista is a flaming pile of human waste, but of course that's an overstatement to most people (such as the way you took my previous post).

One last question though - do you know any way I can get that error to stop popping up? Is there anyway to remove that svchost.exe from executing on startup? I've tried msconfig and the startup folder but I can't find it anywhere. It stopped popping up ALLLLL day today until just now when I got home 10+ hours later. That really confuses me because I uninstalled the program that was giving me that error and I rebooted after doing so...

Again; thank you for your time and concern. :3

Hey it is what i am here for. I can understand the short fuse bit as i have been sick and my temper is a bit short myself.

As for stopping the svchost there is no way. As that is a vital process to the OS. Have you scanned with Osiris's guide to make sure that it is not spyware or anything like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom