Failure to get to desktop screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabb

gone
This rarely happens...I am always able to POST with my mild OC settings so I really don't think its OCing related, but occasionally my computer will boot up the OS and get to the desktop but be stuck in the light blue screen view with no mouse ( the view right before it loads desktop ) and theres no hardware activity or anything. I know one time it was cause one of my CDs my computer had trouble reading which caused explorer to crash and when I rebooted this happened. But lately it happened again...any cause of this to occur? It happens like once every 30 bootups....maybe a program is preventing bootup or something? I have windows XP with all the updates.

Either that or your OC is slightly unstable. It's unlikely that a program is preventing the bootup, because of the time between the errors. At a guess, I'd say something in the hardware is failing. Do some basic troubleshooting on your hardware, e.g. try booting with a different cd drive for a while, defrag the hdd, take the OC down a bit, do a memtest.

Either that or your OC is slightly unstable. It's unlikely that a program is preventing the bootup, because of the time between the errors. At a guess, I'd say something in the hardware is failing. Do some basic troubleshooting on your hardware, e.g. try booting with a different cd drive for a while, defrag the hdd, take the OC down a bit, do a memtest.

I already did all the tests in the past with the OC and my system passed with flying colors.

Due to the rarity of the errors ( as I mentioned probably 1 in every 30 boot ups max ), its incredibly difficult to test what exactly is the problem. I was thinking someone had a better way of seeing whats wrong then the standard conventional common knowledge stuff.

Soul can still be right though. Just because you did the tests and passed doesn't mean your OC could be a little more than what it can handle. You even said it only does it 1 in 30 boots. If you test your machine 30 times and it passes every time then it is most likely not an OC problem. Could even be a driver problem. It's a pretty broad problem and no one can really pinpoint one thing.

Soul can still be right though. Just because you did the tests and passed doesn't mean your OC could be a little more than what it can handle. You even said it only does it 1 in 30 boots. If you test your machine 30 times and it passes every time then it is most likely not an OC problem. Could even be a driver problem. It's a pretty broad problem and no one can really pinpoint one thing.

my OC is pathetically mild, i thought OC problems would also lead to failures to POST and wouldn't make it as far as to desktop

Nope when your OC is right on the brink of being too much it usually fails on loading the OS.

but it loads the OS when it shows the windows with the loading bar right? Well before it shows the light blue desktop screen, thats when I assumed it was loading the startup programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom