want to start overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now I am running Prime95. So far the highest temp has reached 55 but comes back down to 50. I am using CPUID Hardware Monitor to monitor the temps and one of the temps is -2 degrees and it has never moved. Why is it so low and why doesn't it move? Every program I used to monitor temps show the same thing.

If I set it to 3.0ghz, what would I need to set the voltage at? How much should I increase it at a time?

It is best to use Coretemp on Intel dual and quads.

Voltage is dependant on chip, more so on the VID of the chip.

So you just gotta play around with it, never give it more than it needs, so start at the defualt voltage and work your way up until it meets your definition of stable.

my VID is 1.25 and I only need 1.3375 for 3.6 Ghz..

1.35 volts should be good for 3.0ghz depending on your vid my chip can clock 3.0 with out voltage increase at all... anyway i would use core temp to monitor temperatures its the most acurate with the q6600 chips.

Right now I am running Prime95. So far the highest temp has reached 55 but comes back down to 50. I am using CPUID Hardware Monitor to monitor the temps and one of the temps is -2 degrees and it has never moved. Why is it so low and why doesn't it move? Every program I used to monitor temps show the same thing.

If I set it to 3.0ghz, what would I need to set the voltage at? How much should I increase it at a time?

what test are you running? and make sure your using the latest version of prime95, the earlier versions didn't have automatic multiple core support

the max load temp should never drop... if anything it should increase more since your on air cooling

Right now I have it at 2.8ghz. I noticed the FSB to DRAM ratio is 2:3. Isn't it good to keep it at a 1:1 ratio? How do I change that? I didn't see anything in the bios that would let me change that unless I am not looking for the right thing.

System memory multiplier. Notice that when you change it the line right under it also changes to let you know what speed will come as a result.

What motherboard is that from? Mine does not have the option below the System Memory Multiplier, High Speed DLL Settings. What does the SPD stand for?

What number will I be changing, 800 or 1333?

Idle and load temps should both increase when clock and voltage increase reguardless of cooling setup.

i meant that since he said his load temp was 55 and down to 50... load temps are always 1-3 degrees the same, and since its on air cooling it'll probably increase for quite a while even if it is 1 degree after X amount of time

What motherboard is that from? Mine does not have the option below the System Memory Multiplier, High Speed DLL Settings. What does the SPD stand for?

What number will I be changing, 800 or 1333?

That's a Gigabyte board. I used to use one...got rid of that POS though. Anyway, to set the FSB:RAM to a 1:1 ratio, set the system memory multiplier (SPD) to 2. That'll change the 1333MHz speed you see there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom