oh dear what have i done???

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewdevlin86

Beta member
i have just tried to install a new RAM module in my mums computer and something has gone BADLY wrong. i have installed RAM before on a computer of my own and it was not a problem. i grounded myself to avoid static and fitted the module in the spare slot. i put the case back on and powered it up and now there is no hard drive activity at all. the hdd light doesnt show and the drive is totally silent (its usually such a noisy thing!) also, the monitor is plugged in but doesnt display anything at all so i cannot get an error message to give me any clue as to what has gone wrong. is there a chance i could have sent static through the motherboard and fried a connector to the hard drive? any help would be greatly appreciated as i did not anticipate this kind of problem. thanks in advance!

And so what have you tried? shut it down, take the RAM out and reseat it, if same result turn off clear CMOS and try different slot, if Same result turn off clear cmos and try old RAM.

ive tried all the different modules in both slots and nothing happens. i suspect the problem is with the hard drive as it makes no noise when powered on

The hard drive would not affect the display. Sounds like the board isn't even POSTing. You made sure you inserted them tightly, right?

Try what Ste suggested: Clear the CMOS to reset the BIOS to default settings. Do this by unplugging the power cord from the computer, press the power button to discharge any extra power left over in the power supply, and then remove the button battery from the motherboard for about 10 minutes.

the power light does come on and there is noise from something, i think its a fan near the psu. the problem is that usually as soon as it is switched on the hard drive springs to life and starts making all its noise and showing its light on the front but now there is nothing at all. do you think it could be a problem with the connectors to the hard drive maybe? the ram modules are properly seated i have done that before. cheers

Try plugging the power to the hard drive back in again. Use another power connector other than the one plugged in now if possible. If it still isn't coming on you'll need to try another hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom