Questions about config of new system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikkilla

Solid State Member
So I'm getting a new gaming system...my dad won't fund me making a system on our own, so I did some research and I think im gonna get a fully loaded XPS 630 system, since I heard they have upgradability and what not. So this is the specs to the system I'm going to order..

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™2 Extreme QX6850 (8MB,3.0GHz, 1333FSB) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® XP Professional with re-installation CD edit
MEMORY 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 DIMMs edit
HARD DRIVE 500GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache edit
OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability edit
MONITORS 20 inch SP2008WFP Wide Flat Panel with Webcam and Mic edit
VIDEO CARD Dual nVidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB edit
SOUND CARD Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

So i've been hearing some things about how the processor speed has to be up to par for SLI to take effect..so I was wondering will the Core 2 Extreme QX6850 actually make a big difference in gameplay compared to the cheaper quad core? is the extra 900 bucks worth it? And what is better, having dual 8800s gt, or just having one 8800 GTX 768MB ? also, 2GB Corsair Dominator RAM is more expensive than having 4 gb of dual channel...which is better for gaming, having 2gb of corsair or 4g of dual channel?

Sorry I'm a pretty big noob, and thanks ahead of time for your guys help.

I wouldn't spend the extra $900 for the extreme.

The corsair probably is dual channel also buts its probably a faster ram (but if not overclocking it won't really do anything). 4gb would be better but 32bit xp is only going to use about 3gb of it. Theres a limit to how much ram a 32 bit os can handle and the graphics card takes some.

IIRC 8800gt sli > 8800gtx. However 9600gt sli is about the same as 8800gt and would probably be cheaper if they offer it. (again if I recall correctly).

Is it possible/easy to get 64 bit or is that just a waste of effort/money/time?

So 8800 GT SLI > 8800 GTX..any other opinions?

How much does Dell want for that setup, out of curiosity?

Your dad does realize that he is wasting about $500 to $1000 buying that from Dell right?

Wow, just Wow. That system, or one of equal standard could probably be built for around $1500-1800 easily! I just hate how Dell and name brand suppliers can make that huge of a profit margin per machine. It's just not right...

I'm fully aware that he's wasting money.. However this system should be able to run pretty much every game smoothly right? (maybe not crysis on high settings of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom