Apple forbids Windows users from installing Safari for Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSoD

Call me Mak or K, Mod Emeritus
n using Apple Software Update to slip his Safari browser onto millions of Windows PCs, Steve Jobs didn't just undermine "the security of the whole Web". He's made a mockery of end user licensing agreements.

As spotted by our Italian friends at setteB.IT, Apple's Safari license says that users are permitted to install the browser on no more than "a single Apple-labeled computer at a time." This means that if you install Safari for Windows on a Windows PC, you're violating the license.

Early last week, as Apple unveiled Safari version 3.1, it began offering the browser to Windows users via the Apple Software Update tool that accompanies iTunes and Quicktime. In other words, millions of people who don't use Safari have now been confronted with a pop-up window that lists the browser as an important software "update."

And this is an offer that many iTunes and Quicktime users are less than likely to refuse. When that pop-up window pops up, the go-ahead-and-install-Safari button is checked by default.

safari_license_agreement.jpg

Source

That makes about as much sense as the thing in the iTunes license agreement about not being able to produce nuclear substances with it (lol?).

And the loss would be...? I've had enough of companies telling me if and when I can use my own stuff, thank you.

Well to me this one is ironic considering they force it upon you with the Apple Software update. How can they say it is illegal yet give it to you as a option with their own update software?

Dee Dee Dee <~~ In the words of Carlos Mencia

Because they want those "cool" and "hip" rebel internet users to defy The Man and do it anyways. Then hopefully they'll love Safari so much they'll do out and buy a Mac.

that's commie computing for you...apple..mac...communistic computing

not my flavor...I've had enough of them :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom