Cant boot + use bootcfg /rebuild or access system32/config

Status
Not open for further replies.

shkip

Beta member
Gday guys. 2 days ago i had a computer crash and since then have been unable to boot. It just hangs on a black screen after the bios settings screen loads (in between where it scans your harddrives etc and where the windows screen should say its loading, i guess)

Since then have tried a number of things:

-used windows xp cd to try do a repair install -> however, it doesnt give me the repair option when i get to the install screen, only shows the partition of C and how much space there is etc. and for me to do a full install (and hence reformat)

-replaced ntldr and ntdetect.com from xp cd to see if it would make windows appear on the ^ so i could repair, it didnt

-tried bootcfg /rebuild -->
this says its scanning for windows, then fails, then gives me an error ... so i guessed that there was some sort of problem locating any windows
installation despite the fact that upon initializing the recovery console, I am presented with the option "1. C:\windows" and i can roam around the c:\windows\ directory. cant use any bootcfg commands here like add etc

- decided to check out system32/config and was attempting to backup the files when i notice that none of the files were copying, returned some error which i guess suggest they werent there. then proceeded to try to /dir the config directory but it gives me an error:

The volume in drive C is Acer
The volume serial no is 320d-190e
Directory of c:\windows\system32\config
An error occurred duirng the directory enumeration

i guess this is where my problem lies? this is where i am completely stumped though and have no idea what to do next ? should i get the system32 files from the xp cd and put them in? i really hope im not screwed because i have so many important files on my computer sad.gif

Any help on this would be great.

IT looks like the file system is corrupt. Which isnt good. When trying th repair you are not at the first screen that comes up are you? You have selected to isntall XP, said yes to the EULA with F8 and moved on to the next set of screen right?

At first the only option you get is Recovery Console. Reapir doesnt show up till after it scans your system for a previously installed version of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom