Decisions on New Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just seems that before long there won't be a mainboard that accepts DDR2. I know the DDR3 isn't cheap. Remembering when I bought my OCZ ram 5-6 years ago it cost me over $400 to get the timings I needed. Maybe I was ripped off but it was the kit OCZ recommended to me and all others for the type of rig I was building.

Looks like I can get 4gb of DDR3 PC10666 with 7-7-7-20 timings for $360. DDR2 PC8500 is around $170. Just a little over half.

Has anyone had experience with that new WD 320GB drive? Read in a recent post it is supposed to be fast. This is more around the size I want especially if I put it in a Raid 0.

Id get DDR2 now, and just get DDR3 when its the standard and a reasonable price

It wont be the standard in less than 2 years unless the price radically drops and the performance goes way up

Less than $300 for 4gb of DDR3 isn't bad in my mind. I paid way more for 1GB of the memory I have now and its 6 yrs. old. Anyways, if I do DDR2 I must go with the 780i instead of the 790i. Not sure if I want to give up the new feature set.

If you have the money, go for it, and $250 after rebate for 4GB of DDR3 is very reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom