New CPU require HD format/OS reinstall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueHeaven

In Runtime
I think I already know the answer, but I'm just hoping for the best.

Situation: With my current setup (in my sig) running a e6750, which is great, but still stumbles when running Sonar and packing on VST plugins and tracks (plus recording the tracks at 96k).
So I was pondering about upgrading to a q6600 (Sonar can use up to 8 cores), which would let me do more with out having my CPU usage peak and getting a DROP OUT.

My only concern is whether, using the same Mobo, I will have to reinstall the OS (XP) and possibly reformat my HD's. Cause that would just be a biatch with all the programs I currently have installed.

I know when using a new Mobo you almost always have to, just couldn't find anything with just installing a new CPU.

PS: Feel free to rant at me for not using the search function, but I swear I searched first, just not very successfully.

No worries. Changing the CPU doesn't require drivers and what not, so theres no need to reformat. Only with motherboards.

unless ure going from a single to dual core.
some ppl recommend formatting when going from dual to quad but i enver did but intend to do so soon.

Cool, thx. Now I just need to convince myself that I actually need it . . . and a new hardrive, mouse, a matching LCD for a nice duel screen, and new Micro-phone pre-amp . . .and what to do with a perfectly good e6750.
So many ways to waste my money.

I went from a single AMD 2800 athlon xp to a gigabyte ds3r and e6600 to a q6600 to a evga 680i with the q6600. NEver had to reinstall the OS. Just let it pick up the drivers :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom