RAM Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nazgul

Baseband Member
I currently have this kind of ram...

Newegg.com - A-DATA 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

I am curious if the OCZ Reapers here

Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

are better...

My current computer Specs

CPU:Q6600
Motherboard:Ix38
Video Card : 8800 GT 512
RAM: 4gb
Case: Antec 900
PSU: 600 OCZ <---IDK?? but something like this ill check when i get home

Yes, the Reapers would be better due to their lower latencies. They also have a lot of headroom for OCing...I do not know about the OCing potential of the A-Data sticks. I have the 4GB kit you pointed to on the bottom and have them running constantly at DDR21000 at 5-5-5-15.

However, there are two things you should know:

1. Make sure your MB can handle the high voltages required for the Reapers, especially if you are overclocking. I am giving them 2.4V at the moment.

2. Make sure the little cooling fins won't be obstructed by any of your current hardware.

I currently have this kind of ram...

Newegg.com - A-DATA 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

I am curious if the OCZ Reapers here

Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

are better...

My current computer Specs

CPU:Q6600
Motherboard:Ix38
Video Card : 8800 GT 512
RAM: 4gb
Case: Antec 900
PSU: 600 OCZ <---IDK?? but something like this ill check when i get home

I just ordered those 2GB ( 2x1GB ) OCZ Reapers this morning.:)

Woa dude, you run your reapers at 2.4v? Have you had any overheating issues with them? I have those exact reapers and have just been running them at stock 800 4-4-4-12 2.1v. Good memory. ***** I FORGOT TO SEND IN THE REBATE AGAIN.

Woa dude, you run your reapers at 2.4v? Have you had any overheating issues with them? I have those exact reapers and have just been running them at stock 800 4-4-4-12 2.1v. Good memory. ***** I FORGOT TO SEND IN THE REBATE AGAIN.

Yeah, they're getting 2.4V. I was having some CTDs during heavy gaming (Oblivion/Crysis) and quickly figured out it was the ram. I was giving them 2.3V at that time, so I just bumped it up .1V and it worked perfectly after that. As far as I know, they are running within all temperature specifications, so I'm not too worried about it.

I bumped it to DDR2 1000 to get 3.5Ghz on my 6300 at a 2x memory mutliplier and 7x FSB and was surprised to see it actually worked. So I just left them. And they're still working. But I think I may be selling my current system for my upcoming college build, lol.

NOTE: The reapers come with OCZ EVP (Extended Voltage Protection), which is a feature that allows performance enthusiasts to use a VDIMM of 2.4V without invalidating their OCZ Lifetime Warranty. So either way, I'm covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom