no "you can now safely turn off your computer"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I originally had this problem on an XP machine with a asus motherboard. When that got fried, I bought a gigabyte board. Without doing anything to the bios or setup, I now have my machine turning itself off when I hit shutdown. That leads me to suspect that it is a mobo-bios specific issue, as it is the hardware that actually has to do the turning off. I know some mobos don't support active switching.

Also, I will note that I have experienced similar shutdown changes on Win2k machines.

Oh, and yakir_sudry, when they're talking about the BIOS, they don't mean a feature in Windows Control Panel. BIOS is a startup utility on your mobo that you see before the OS starts. You usually have to hit a key (such as delete or F9) during the initial boot-up to access your BIOS setups. You should be told what key during the boot-up text.

ShoobieRat said:
I originally had this problem on an XP machine with a asus motherboard. When that got fried, I bought a gigabyte board. Without doing anything to the bios or setup, I now have my machine turning itself off when I hit shutdown. That leads me to suspect that it is a mobo-bios specific issue, as it is the hardware that actually has to do the turning off. I know some mobos don't support active switching.

ShoobieRat... (sounds even funnier as I type out your name - funky name man....LOL ) you're 1/2 right. If you read that link to the MSKB article, it says in plain english, this is related into an BIOS issue where it may not be ACPI compliant.

And saying that BIOS is a "utility" is incorrect and misleading. The BIOS (Basic Input Output Services)... functions as the bootrap loader for the PC itself retaining the basic hardware configuration information. When it's done performing its task, it then passes the control over to the OS so it can in turn process it's own loading files. Most commonly today it's an EEPROM chip on your MB which you can update ONLY when absolutely necessary.

Furthermore, the BIOS menu is not a utility either, merely a user interface so that you can manually change those settings which are stored in your BIOS chip.

I know what is the bios, I mean i couldnt find anything there that might help, this friend of mine has XP, i just want to know, is there a way to cancel this screen or its some HW issue?

Yakir, you obviously udnerstand english well enough to post here. What part of my posting (1st or 2nd) did you not understand??? This is ridiculous..... i try to help you out by giving you a link that applies to your situation and you still same questions.... READ the MSKB article i gave you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom