Fixing to completely wipe hard drives..... Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happens when you change drive types and capacities? hhmmm....

Nothing tops a clean install on a brand new drive seeing a fresh primary to work with. You don't drag all the registry as well as drive clutter along with you.

Done that too. Went from a Western Digital IDE 80GB, to a SeaGate SATA 320GB; worked flawlessly.

With Ghost you can change the drive type (Which you can not do in Windows anyways as all Windows require to be on a Primary Partition. Not Logical or Extended) and capacity. Ghost only takes the Used drive space. Unlike Acronis which also takes the free space.

So with Ghost you will only take the 20GB used by XP and clone that part. Not the 200GB of free space. So if you choose to put it in a smaller partition than 250GB you can. As long as it can hold your current capacity you are fine.

I used to Image my drive as well. It was very worth while. Make a clean image after you get all updates and drivers installed let alone Apps. The issue i ran into is that i started to mess around with so much other stuff like Betas and different apps that my Images would be outdated in a week and be useless. Let alone the DVD's needed to burn that much space.

aloha bob and vcom's system suite 8 can let you transfer programs. but vcom crashes some systems.

Ghost will do what you need if the drive is going in the same PC. Won't matter if it is a different H/D brand. If it is going in a different PC you will have HAL issues. Maybe you can slave the drive, install your OS on the new drive and run the programs from the slaved drive. You will have to edit your paths, but this might work. My question is, if all you stuff got stolen, how are you going to do this anyway?

Surprised nobody else had suggested just to image everything over beforehand...lol.

Anyway, like I and others have said, Ghost should do exactly what you need.

Don't plan on it with Vista. When trying to copy one Vista primary from one drive to another the startup repair tool didn't work, reinstalling Windows didn't work on the same primary without reformatting it, and simply removing it and seeing new one created is what saw Vista up and running.

Ghost will do what you need if the drive is going in the same PC. Won't matter if it is a different H/D brand. If it is going in a different PC you will have HAL issues. Maybe you can slave the drive, install your OS on the new drive and run the programs from the slaved drive. You will have to edit your paths, but this might work. My question is, if all you stuff got stolen, how are you going to do this anyway?

Ghost works on computer with different hardware. it has a tool that overcome the hal issues. I done it lots of times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom