Changed MB -HD WinXP Will Not Bood

Status
Not open for further replies.

texaspepper

Beta member
PC#1 =Asus A8V -VM AMD 3200 64 CPU M/B. On board video - 1GB memory /Win XP Pro SP2

PC#2 =Asus P5K-ELGA 775 INTELL P35 ATX INTEL M/B / Intell Core 2 Duo E460 Allendale 2.4 GHZ LGA 77r 65 W Dual-Core Processor /2x1GB 240 DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 //Win XP Pro SP2. NO on board Video-Added a 512MB Video Card.

What I did. Took WD 250G Sata out of PC#1-placed into PC#2 Booted fine. Everything there.

Next hooked new out of the box Seagate Barcu Sata 500GB /Partitioned 235G & 230G to PC#2 M/B and did a disc clone from WD.

Put Seagate into PC#1 - Bios sees it ..goes through boot to the point of starting to bring up WinXP log screen "Blue Screen Of Death"

Put ORIGINAL WD 250 back into PC#1 =same results. "Blue Screen Of Death"

Both HD's will boot fine in PC#2. Not in PC#1. Only if I do "Safe Mode" will it boot.
Hoping not to have to do a new WIN XP install on the HD going into PC#2. Got any ideas?
Would you remove M/B battery and clear BIOS on PC

Hi, What has happened is MS has deemed in it's infantile wisdom to determand that replacing the motherboard with something other than a exact match for the one before as a totally new machine. You will have to format the drive an reinstall XP and install the drivers for any hardware including your motherboard.

Ya Chris, that is what I had figured but hate to go through the new install thing.
I did install a new XP and it booted fine. I re-cloned the drive again and "Blue Screen Of Death" again. Come on Bill, don't make it so hard! Let us swap from MB to MB.

Each system has it's own hardware snapshot made by the Windows installer along with a ttotally different set of chipset and other device drivers. oops! I guess you will just have to see a clean install on each machine.

Hey they got to enforce digital restrictions management some how haven't they?

Just go ahead with a fresh install an then copy over the user profiles so you save your documents, but I am unsure if you can clone a drive from one partition to another, are you using ghost? I use that in work all the time an i an the rest of the lads in work ghost from one drive to another. You can't use a external drive btw ghost has no support for USB hard drives at least version 7 doesn't.

Hey they got to enforce digital restrictions management some how haven't they?

Just go ahead with a fresh install an then copy over the user profiles so you save your documents, but I am unsure if you can clone a drive from one partition to another, are you using ghost? I use that in work all the time an i an the rest of the lads in work ghost from one drive to another. You can't use a external drive btw ghost has no support for USB hard drives at least version 7 doesn't.

I know Ghost 9 does; and I have a Ghost version (can't remember what one) on my Hiren boot CD, that has USB support as well.

also, can't you just do a repair install if you swap out the MB? I've heard that works as well, from numerous people around here.

I used the DiscWizard from Seagate using Acronis tools. Not just like the one on Hiren's latest, but close. I have a back up of source drive done by Ghost 12. I tried it the first time and it would not boot either. I used MaxBlaster 3 and no good. Man, I have used a lot and still it will not boot past the "Blue Screen Of Death" I could do a fresh install, but it's a matter of principal now for me. After so long at this MB swap I hate to quit and install XP. Yes, I used Ghost for years cloning drives to install in new PC, but THEY were the same generation of PC. Cloned the new one and then ran on 100 PC of the same generation and same kind.

When the current build saw the first board replaced fast when it simply crapped after 3 days of use XP saw a full reinstall while Vista saw the "you may have a counterfeit copy of Windows" displayed onscreen until giiving someone at MS a call. The replacement board was the exact model except for serial number and still saw that come up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom