I want to build a AV computer. I Need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rd1162000

Beta member
Hi,
I have a extra processor and I've always wanted just a little a/v computer. Somethin I can plug into the tv and watch all my stuff on it. So what is a good (cheap, maybe I can get it off ebay) motherboard to put this Pentium 4 2.53 Ghz (SL6D8) processor (478 pin, 533 MHz Bus speed) into and load linux (Can Ubuntu be loaded onto a computer without having Windows or any OS installed?) so that I can just send my files or access hulu.com to watch them on my tv.

Obviously I don't want a motherboard that is going to have to use rdram like the 8200 this processor came out of, that ram is wayyy to expensive.

Thanks for any responses
First post here, but it looks like there are some pretty helpful people around here...:nerd:
-Ryan-

Well, to answer part of your question, Yes you can load Ubuntu onto a computer without having windows first installed. Simply download their iso and burn the image to a CD/DVD then boot up the new computer to this CD and run through the installation. As far as a cheap motherboard goes, look for Foxconn 45CMX Socket T (LGA775) Intel 945GC Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

It's $50 and has onboard graphics. Supports up to DDR2 667 memory 2x240 pin.

^^ His processor is socket 478 so the socket 775 motherboard you posted will not work.

This is the only socket 478 motherboard newegg has. It uses DDR2 ram, has integrated graphics, and has a pcie x16 slot if you want to upgrade the graphics card later.

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR P4M900M4 478 VIA P4M900 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

1gb of ram should be plenty for Ubuntu.

Newegg.com - Kingston ValueRAM 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail

Also, if your tv does not have a vga input you will probably need a graphics card with additional outputs. This graphics card has s-video and component video outputs in addition to dvi and vga outputs.

Newegg.com - Foxconn FV-N84SM2DT GeForce 8400GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

I'm sorry about the Motherboard mixup. I completely missed where you typed the socket type and jumped to the conclusion that it was of the newer P4 LGA 775 type. Before you settle for Newegg, I would check quickly. I saw some that were around the $30 range but didn't look too deeply into any as I am quite busy right now. Hope you find everything you need!

thank you everyone for your input, i was looking at newegg and ran across those motherboards too. I wanted to see if anybody else had better ideas than me :)

if anybody wants to input more advice, please feel free to do so. THANKS!

Foxconn 45CMX as recommended is probably a good choice. I used it in the past and it works very reliably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom