This just in- Nvidia will no longer make discrete chipsets. Only on-board video!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtis

Daemon Poster
No More Discrete Chipsets From Nvidia | Tom's Hardware

"Santa Clara (CA) - Current and future owners of Nvidia's nForce 790i Ultra SLI and SLI chipsets own a piece of history: Nvidia confirmed to TG Daily that it is now focusing on delivering chipsets with integrated graphics.

Bryan Del Rizzo, Nvidia's Page Ranking manager for platform products told us that the company will be starting to implement graphics in chipsets by default beginning with the nForce 700-series for AMD. The manufacturer will be using the mGPU for HybridPower operation. "For example, the nForce 780a is a high-end motherboard with an integrated [graphics] core," Del Rizzo said.

Graphics chipset always has a low-end tone to it, but Nvidia's announcement does not mean that the company will stop creating high-end chipsets, but rather work on expanding the power saving features of upcoming desktop and notebook parts.

The goal of this move is also to connect a display through DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort or a similar cable directly to the motherboard. One, two, three or four discrete GPUs would provide 3D performance when required."

Wow. Well, hmm. How's this going to work then? The only SLI mobo that will be released from now on will have on-board video? Or is SLI for future chipsets dead?

Re: This just in- Nvidia will no longer make discrete chipsets. Only on-board video!!

What's the summary of this?

Re: This just in- Nvidia will no longer make discrete chipsets. Only on-board video!!

Of course you can, that's not an issue at all. It's just something different. ONLY producing mobo's with on-board video? I can't tell by the article of that means no more SLI or what.

it just means that they'll have integrated video card, so you don't have to buy a video card anymore if you don't buy their discrete stuff

it just means that they'll have integrated video card, so you don't have to buy a video card anymore if you don't buy their discrete stuff

Ha, their won't be any more discrete stuff, only intergrated after 790i.

What advantage does this give them? Sounds pretty stupid.

I agree completely. SLI hasn't done horrible, and after the increase in performance we've seen with the 9 seires in scaleing, as well as 20% increase in SLI performance with the 790i, you'd think it'd take off even more over time. Soooo. WTH.

EDIT: BLAST! Sorry for the double post.

They might be trying to start that transition over to GPU+CPU on one chip... But of course this is a long way from it because this is old tech, putting the graphics card ON the MOBO. An fx5200 will beat ANY integrated graphics card to date... Does Nvidia think that taking out the option of upgrading your GPU instead of your whole board will get them more business?

This sounds so stupid that i think i might not quite understand what is going on... because it sounds like nvidia is handing ATI a ticket to happy town.

780G chipset has intergrated HD 3200, which is basically renamed HD 2400 but on the motherboard, a ton faster than FX5200.

Nvidia will also have to put a low end GPU on these chipsets to compete with the 780G. Most likely put a 8400GS or 8500GT.

Its not just a about gaming, the HD 2400XT has excellent HTPC abilties, but i'm sure the 8400GS does as well.

Didn't they already announce this earlier? It's part of hybrid SLI, where the integrated graphics takes over, allowing the graphics card to shut off to save power.

edit: actually maybe that was AMD, in which case this would just be nVidia copying AMD's hybrid crossfire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom