Bios for my motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quake_City

Baseband Member
I want to update the bios for my motherboard, but the site warns that only people with experience should do so? Is this something most computer users can do, or is there something I should know?

Well there should be instruction on how to do it. It is scary at first but at some point in time we all have to learn.

Just as long as the power doesnt go out while you're doing it, and you don't shut your comp off, you should be fine. It took about 10 minutes total to do mine, but it only took < 30 seconds to do the actual update.

I wouldn't really recommend doing it within Windows...I'd suggest putting in on a USB drive, and copying it off of that.

Mine can only go from within Windows. So pfft. I have upgraded it from version 1.0a to version 1.09a without any troubles from within Windows. Jsut depends on the Manufacturer if they have a good enough app to do it.

REally? That seems odd that you can't do it through update utility, lol. I just don't like the idea of doing it through Windows, personally xD. Don't know how good some of their updating programs are... I'd prefer not to find out the hard way, heh.

Using ASUS EZ Flash to Update BIOS

The ASUS EZ Flash feature allow you to easily update the BIOS without having to go through the long process of booting from a diskette and using a DOS-based utility. The EZ Flash is built-in the BIOS firmware so it is accessible by simply pressing "Alt" + "F2" during the Power-On Self Tests (POST). Follow these steps to update the BIOS using ASUS EZ Flash.

1. Download the latest BIOS file from the ASUS Website. Save the file to a floppy disk. (Write down the BIOS file name on a piece of paper. You need to type the exact BIOS file name at the EZ Flash screen.)

2. Reboot the computer.

3. To use EZ Flash, press "Alt" + "F2" during POST to display the following screen.

4. Insert the disk that contains the new BIOS file into the floppy drive. You will receive the error message, "WARNING! Device not ready." if you proceed to step 5 without the disk in the drive.

5. At the prompt, "Please Enter File Name for NEW BIOS:_", type in the BIOS file name that you downloaded from the ASUS website, then press "Enter". EZ Flash will automatically access drive A to look for the file name that you typed. When found, the following message appears on screen.

If you accidentally typed in a wrong BIOS file name, the error message, "WARNING! File not found." appears. Press "Enter" to remove the message, then type in the correct file name. Press "Enter".

6. At the above prompt, type Y to continue with the updated process. Pressing N exits the EZ Flash screen and reboots the system without updating the BIOS. The following prompts appear if you typed Y.

7. Press Y to update the main BIOS ares. (Do not shutdown or reset the system while updating the BIOS area! Doing so may cause system boot failure.)

8. When the updated process is done, the message, "Press any key to reboot" appears. Press any key to reboot the system with the new BIOS.

Anyone know of anything I should be looking out for if I follow this procedure? Because it looks pretty manageable for most who have used a computer for a reasonable amount of time.

As already stated you should just make sure the PC does not freeze or get shut down during the procedure.

Dude I appreciate your help, but things don't always go to script! I tried several time to do this, but it kept saying file P5GCMX.ROM isn't on the cd? I downloaded 7 updates none were name that.
e.g.; 0209.ROM, P5GC-MX-ASUS-O5O7.ROM, P5GC-MX-ASUS-O3O5.ROM and so on. My question now is should I try changing the file name to what it's looking for? If so do I need to change the file name of all of them?
That is I change file name 0209.ROM to P5GCMX.ROM go through the procedure then change the next file name to P5GCMX.ROM and so on until they're all done?

Are you sure you downloaded the right file? And can't you just put 'em on a USB flash drive and use that? That's all I did (not sure if your motherboard can boot off of USB drives). Makes it a ton easier.

I went to Asus Bios update page --> ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support-
Then here --> You may choose "ASUS Navigation Wizard" (this ASUS Navigation Wizard is useless) or "General Download" to obtain product BIOS, drivers, utilities and user manuals.
Then I enter the product --> motherboard (ASUS) --> Then series (Socket 775) --> The Model (P5GC-MX)
If that's wrong I'll be %$#@ed!

It has only two fields which you get to choose Floopy disk or CD, if I could use my flash card I would!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom