Building a pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syn

Baseband Member
Hi, its me again and thanks for the info on the last thread but after buying that pc i realised that i was a fool so i decided now to build my own pc which will be cheaper and i will get everything a I need but this will be my first time building a pc and I wanted to know if people on this wonderful website can tell me the step by step guide of how to build a pc or tell of a website that can teach meÂ…. Also what are the main features do you suggest for me to get for a pc like a Pentium or amd nivdia graphics card or an ati, I personally am looking for a gaming pcÂ…Â….thank you guys

heres what you should be looking for if u want a gaming pc:
Amd 64 3000 - 3700
nvidia 6800 128mb - 256mb or ati x800pro or xt 128mb - 256mb
at least 512mb pc 3200 ram
120gb 7200rpm harddrive or more.
7.1 pci sound card (audigy series)
dvd rom/cd -rw combi drive.
^^^ they would be the main stuff but u will need a good crt monitor or a lcd monitor with a 16ms response time or less.
Heres a good how to guide to help u build a pc:
http://www.motherboards.org/articlesd/how-to-guides/924_1.html

Mmm, all good 'cept...in my opinion:
-ATI, always!
-AMD...only!
-52x CDROM drive purely for access speed and major use (they run $5 at the local computer shop--cheap and easy to replace if it ever breaks)

and what he said :)

Hi,

Make sure you test it step by step, its better then stripping it back down to the m-board trying to find why itÂ’s not working, the best way to find what you need is to examine other user's com lists and what they use it for (gaming, music, etc).

if you give us your price range we can help you a lot more. The one I am currently using cost around 1800, while the one thats on its way was around 3100.

how many games doplan on playing on it cuz 120gb is a lot of sorage considering most games take less then 2gb thats 60 games i have an 80gb 4 games and a 20gb for school and the gaming one never goes above 65gb full

AMD CPU
19-103-450-02.jpg

Corsair memory
20-145-415-03.jpg

Maxtor 160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
22-144-322-04.jpg

SAMSUNG 910T-Silver 19" LCD Monitor
24-001-161-09.jpg

ASUS ATI RADEON X800 XT Video Card, 256MB GDDR3
14-121-515-01.jpg

like some people have suggested, get an AMD CPU because they are better for gaming, the Nvidia 6800Ulta or the ATi X800XT depends on what your preference in graphics is, speed or image quality [(Nvidia 6800Ulta for quality because of Shader model 3.0) and the X800XT because it acheives higher framerates]. Corsair ram is the best, if you have the money, you should get some of the XL series. I would recommend an Asus or an Abit motherboard. A WD Raptor would be the obvious choice if you have the money, but if not then just get a 120Gb SATA harddrive.

To follow on everybody else.

First personally I start with a case, get yourself a nice Aluminium case for better cooling and weight. Only then do I decide which motherboard I want, which in turn chooses my CPU preference. As you have read many times, AMD is the choice for gaming - anything like a AMD-64 3000+ to 3700+, I would personally go for a socket 940 :)

Now that you have chosen your case, CPU and motherboard, you are going to need other things that nobody really thinks of when first building. Get yourself the ultimate cheapest floppy drive because you will probably never use it, but if you don't have one you will wish you had one when your PC crashes or you need to flash BIOS. You are also going to need a keyboard and mouse, the ultimate gaming mouse is the Logitech MX510 - it is only for right-handed people so if you are left-handed then get yourself a Logitech MX310. The quality of mouse makes all the difference, and with it being an optical mouse you are going to need a mouse pad/matt, and with a Logitech MX### nothing is better than a Icemat, it can make your online gaming so much better. Almost there with the accessories, but you still need a DVD drive, this is totally your own choice; get a DVD Writer if you like, or whatever you want :) Try to get a color that matches your case :D

Thus far you have chosen your CPU, motherboard, case, mouse, keyboard, floppy drive and DVD/CD-ROM. Now you need to choose memory, graphics card, monitor and PSU - the list just keeps on going doesn't it?

NVIDIA or ATI
People are really going to hate me for saying this, but it really doesn't matter between the two, especially with their high-end cards, the 6800 Ultra and the X800 XT perform on par - they jump ahead 2 frames or 200 points and they are apparently better?.

Mid-range, get yourself a 5700 Ultra or 9600XT - they are so close when it comes to performance it doesn't matter; the 9600XT is faster on Aquamark, and the 5700 Ultra is faster on 3D Marks.

Low-range:- don't bother, they are useless for gaming - anything lower than 9600XT or 5700 Ultra might as well be an expensive coffee holder.

OK to memory, if you don't plan on overclocking then anything is on the mark - my DDR333 Nanya memory has never punished me with one error or crash. Get yourself a minimum of PC3200 (DDR400), and the more the better - get at least 1GB for the latest games and for the future, especially when you are running anti-virus software and firewall software at the same time as playing Far Cry; you need that memory ;)

Now the piece of hardware that effects massive games or online gaming - the Hard Drive. This piece of important hardware should be as fast as possible, and if money is no object then get 4x 74GB Western Digital Raptors (10k rpm, 8MB Cache) on a RAID array -0/1. If you can't afford this or are unwilling to pay that much money out, then a Seagate Barracuda does the trick (anything above 100GB is fine) :)

All of this is practically irrelevant now that PCI-X is on the market, but good luck :)

Now, not to argue with Kangaroo, but he hurt my fellings saying that anything less than a 9600XT is an expensive coffee holder!!! I have a 9600SE and while I am not bragging, it'll play FarCry on my system on Medium without being choppy. Though I must say on the other hand that I wish I could play it on High settings and that the bottle neck in my system is the vid card. That will be my next upgrade!!!! Another thing that sucks is that mine wont OC at all!!!!! LOL!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom