Fixing to completely wipe hard drives..... Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaXiMuS_N00BuS

Baseband Member
I am fixing to re-install Windows XP Pro SP2 and i need ALL of my programs (Reason, FL Studio, Cakewalk SONAR, Visual Studio 2008 and a WHOLE bunch more) RE-INSTALLING IS NOT AN OPTION (everything got stolen from me, even my monitor.) So I need some advice on how to go about doing this. I have blank DVD's and CD's so I need to know what to do.

If you have the installation files for the programs you want to keep, back them up either on cd or portable HDD. I think it will be pretty hard to do without a monitor ... even the format!

Once you reinstall XP you will be working with a totally new riegistry. Every program currently running will also need to see a fresh install. All you can do with blank disks is simply burn files and folders onto them while starting fresh means precisely that.

It's a rough break by any means but new software disks or downloads would be needed to see the same programs go on following a fresh copy of Windows.

If you have the installation files for the programs you want to keep, back them up either on cd or portable HDD. I think it will be pretty hard to do without a monitor ... even the format!

Where would I find these installation files?

eyeCpc,

Just hypothetically speaking really..... What if I just copy every registry key in my current registry and then re-install Windows and place them there?

EDIT: I have a monitor now haha

Microsoft has a step by step for that you can download direct from Active Content Wizard

Another problem besides the need to backup and restore the registy is the need to see folders created in other locations under the user account as well as in the Program Files directory since the software installer creates those.

I figured you had already borrowed a monitor or were on someone's else's system in order to start thread here. The question now is why does Windows have to be reinstalled to start with? The installation files are usually on the softwares disks unless a program is saved in a folder when downloaded.

Microsoft has a step by step for that you can download direct from Active Content Wizard

Another problem besides the need to backup and restore the registy is the need to see folders created in other locations under the user account as well as in the Program Files directory since the software installer creates those.

I figured you had already borrowed a monitor or were on someone's else's system in order to start thread here. The question now is why does Windows have to be reinstalled to start with? The installation files are usually on the softwares disks unless a program is saved in a folder when downloaded.

I am re-installing because my root hard drive is crammed full (200MB free) of software that i use on a daily basis. So i am going to re-install it on another hard drive (the one with 80Gb instead of my root drive with 19Gb capacity) so i wont have to worry about re-installing again. I just acquired the 80 gig hard drive recently and its blank so....

So time for a clean install of everything to see actual working results. when dual booting along with seeing a desktop screen full of shortcuts for various programs it still has to be done here due to the large number of items. You will most likely end up there as well.

Where would I find these installation files?

eyeCpc,

Just hypothetically speaking really..... What if I just copy every registry key in my current registry and then re-install Windows and place them there?

EDIT: I have a monitor now haha

Copying over the Registry will not solve the issues. First off any registry issues you have will be carried over. 2nd not all the files are placed in the registry. What about the files in teh App data folder under the My Documents folder. You would be missing some very important files there.

You will NEED the installers. Period.

Ok when I go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs, I can see the installer icon next to programs but i dont know where to find them. They're not in the folders. By the way, while were on the Add/Remove Programs subject, In "Change/Remove" what does "Change" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom