IE wont always respond

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdan

Daemon Poster
My browsers, particularly IE (6) dont always respond when I try to open them. With IE about half the time when I click the icon nothing happens. If a then check task manager IE is indeed running and taking up about 14K of memory, but it never opens. If I try opening it again another instance will just open under task manager and nothing will show up. Now if I end all the IE processes in there and then start IE again it'll be fine. But I need to get this fixed. Any ideas?

Thanks
Dan

Which version of Windows are you running there? It sounds like it's time to download the IE setup file to see IE reinstalled or updated to IE 7. For 98, ME, 2000 you would download the setup file for IE 6. For XP IE 7 is now part of the updates.

I'm running XP. I dont want to upgrade, dont care much for IE7. I much prefer 6.

Does it happen when you first start the PC or at any time trying to access IE?

IE 6 is shot full of security holes in so many ways it isn't funny. You won't have to wait much longer anyways since the finished version of IE 8 will replace 7 soon enough. Microsoft has been pushing the beta release right on their product and download pages lately.

it happens all the time. i have no reason to choose 8 over 7 tho since i prefer the interface of 6. i should mention im using a P3 so I dont want to get heavy applications.

IE 7 is far from a heavy application. The new version is still in beta form for the present moment until the finished version is released and will conform to a new universal standard that companies have come together with MS to agree on.

IE 6 itself is vulnerable to every spyware, adware, trojan since it's been out and in use until late 2006 as the default browser for Windows. IE 6.0 SP1 is still available for immediate download at Download details: Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1

After you download the file go into Control Panel>add/remove programs>add/remove Windows components and uncheck internet explorer. You will then have to restart the system to see your current copy removed. Once done start the SP1 setup for seeing IE 6 put back on to see if that will clean things up.

Look to see if you have any BHO's (add-on's) going. That may be your problem. Also, do you haev multiple toolbars like Google, Yahoo etc. Multiple toolbars do not play nice with each other many times and will give you all manner of grief.
I have to use IE6 at work and it sucks out loud. 7 is much better, faster and more secure. The interface is a little different, but you get used to it.

Talk about crud... I couldn't wait to get "out of" IE 6 due to garbage collection and other things that came up when simply running a search for something. New site found equaled new bug tossed onto your system. No thanks!

i unchecked enable third party browser extensions in the tools - options - advanced window and that did the trick! however now IE opens w/o the google toolbar and i need that. i checked it again, and the toolbar returned but IE went back to behaving the same way. im guessing its not the toolbar but some other addon thats creating the problem. how do i go about fixing this tho?
thanks
dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom