9800gtx at zipzoomfly 350

Status
Not open for further replies.
why doesnt the gtx have more than 512mb memory? The 768 memory in the 8800gtx makes it good in some of the highest resolutions, where the 512 in other cards bottlenecks it.

why doesnt the gtx have more than 512mb memory? The 768 memory in the 8800gtx makes it good in some of the highest resolutions, where the 512 in other cards bottlenecks it.

Because it is probably just like veedub said. It's the 8800 gts g92 with tri sli. You would think it would be a new GTX though...

because the g92 chip has a 256mb memory interface. You have to go in mulitples of that. Also, its not so much the amount of memory on the GTX that helped it, but the memory interface. By dropping down to the 256mb interface the chip costs a lot less to make, and yields come up. They are getting more performance out of a smaller interface by spec'ing the memory higher. So lower costs = lower prices to the consumer. They sell more cards at the same profit margin thus increasing profits.

because the g92 chip has a 256mb memory interface. You have to go in mulitples of that. Also, its not so much the amount of memory on the GTX that helped it, but the memory interface. By dropping down to the 256mb interface the chip costs a lot less to make, and yields come up. They are getting more performance out of a smaller interface by spec'ing the memory higher. So lower costs = lower prices to the consumer. They sell more cards at the same profit margin thus increasing profits.

They're also able to get away with it because ATI isn't bringing any decent competition. Now they can use more profitable parts without worrying about falling behind. I hope the 4xxx series blows current tech out of the water just to see how Nvidia comes back.

They're also able to get away with it because ATI isn't bringing any decent competition. Now they can use more profitable parts without worrying about falling behind. I hope the 4xxx series blows current tech out of the water just to see how Nvidia comes back.

Yea really. The new 9 series cards aren't horrible cards, but they're not what I'd call upgrade worthy, quite mediocre.

I'm willing to bet they performe just a bit above an Ultra, if not match it now and then. I'm just glad I got my 9600gt's, love em now.

ya but there cheap, well that 350 for the 9800 gtx if thats even right is not bad, ive been wanting to upgrade to a 512 gts or 8800 gtx but if they stay at that price i might just get that insted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom