Just need some help on a few components..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyboy

Daemon Poster
Right well i just need to know if these are good components for a new computer, it will be primarily gaming, although probably more for RTS games and MMORPG games then FPS games like Crysis and COD4,bearing in mind the monitor is 19", i know that will help decide what graphics card will do well for playing games on high settings.

Ok i haven't been here for a little while but i doubt that much has changed.

CPU

for the CPU is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz 8Mb Cache still good or is this better?

Intel core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 Ghz 6Mb Cache. I know this isn't a Quad, but it is new and a similar price.

RAM

I'd kind of like to go with Corsair RAM really as i've used it before without any issues, take in mind the fact this computer won't be overlocked much if at all( this is for a friend living with me, they don't want to OC really) so RAM that's great because of overclocking capability isn't a necessity.

I want 4GB, is it better to buy 4x1Gb 800mhz or 2x2Gb 800mhz?

GPU

Seeing how the monitor will only be 19" will a 512mb 8800GT still play games that just being released on high settings? Would a 1024mb 8800GT be better?
Or a 768 8800GTX?

Power supply

I've heard good things about the Corsair Silent HX520Watt. Would that manage a computer with some of the components discussed above?

Case

Well i've seen the one i want, so unless this case has a serious problem, i'd rather not get advice on different ones, i just need to know if it's a good case.

It's a X-Clio windtunnel extreme cooling case, here's a link X-Clio Windtunnel Extreme Cooling Black Case 2 x 25cm Side Fans.. - XCASE No1 For pc computer cases, atx cases & rackmount cases

Ok so any advice on the stuff above would be great!:D

it would be nice if the computer could last another 2-3 without MAJOR upgrades. So basically could it stand the test of time in the area of new RTS and MMORPG( Aion being the main game this is going to be bought for it seems) games coming out in the next two years or so.

OS

Just to say, my friend doesn't like the look of Vista, is there a 64-bit XP?( seeing as how 4GB of ram is going to be used) and will new games continue to support XP for the foreseeable future?

Right well i just need to know if these are good components for a new computer, it will be primarily gaming, although probably more for RTS games and MMORPG games then FPS games like Crysis and COD4,bearing in mind the monitor is 19", i know that will help decide what graphics card will do well for playing games on high settings.

Ok i haven't been here for a little while but i doubt that much has changed.

CPU

for the CPU is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz 8Mb Cache still good or is this better?

Intel core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 Ghz 6Mb Cache. I know this isn't a Quad, but it is new and a similar price.

RAM

I'd kind of like to go with Corsair RAM really as i've used it before without any issues, take in mind the fact this computer won't be overlocked much if at all( this is for a friend living with me, they don't want to OC really) so RAM that's great because of overclocking capability isn't a necessity.

I want 4GB, is it better to buy 4x1Gb 800mhz or 2x2Gb 800mhz?

GPU

Seeing how the monitor will only be 19" will a 512mb 8800GT still play games that just being released on high settings? Would a 1024mb 8800GT be better?
Or a 768 8800GTX?

Power supply

I've heard good things about the Corsair Silent HX520Watt. Would that manage a computer with some of the components discussed above?

Case

Well i've seen the one i want, so unless this case has a serious problem, i'd rather not get advice on different ones, i just need to know if it's a good case.

It's a X-Clio windtunnel extreme cooling case, here's a link X-Clio Windtunnel Extreme Cooling Black Case 2 x 25cm Side Fans.. - XCASE No1 For pc computer cases, atx cases & rackmount cases

Ok so any advice on the stuff above would be great!:D

it would be nice if the computer could last another 2-3 without MAJOR upgrades. So basically could it stand the test of time in the area of new RTS and MMORPG( Aion being the main game this is going to be bought for it seems) games coming out in the next two years or so.

OS

Just to say, my friend doesn't like the look of Vista, is there a 64-bit XP?( seeing as how 4GB of ram is going to be used) and will new games continue to support XP for the foreseeable future?

cpu - go with the q6600, better multitasking and will last your computer longer

RAM - either 4 x 1gb or 2 x 2gb, doesn't really matter its the timing and quality that count
Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

case- be sure to get an intake or two for the windtunnel, yes there is 64-bit xp, but 2gb is really all thats needed

agreed with Invisible, I got to start getting to these threads first; but if I remember correctly I think Joeyboy is English, so he'd have to buy from Overclockers UK

but OCZ Reapers > a large portion of 4gb Kits

if you are going to upgrade ur cpu in less then a year go with the e8400, if not get the q6600. An 8800gt 512mb would be fine for you. That is a good psu, or if you want modular you can get the 520hx instead. If your getting 4gb ram then its better to get 2x2gb instead of 4x1 because dual channel will be faster only using 2 slots. The case is really up to you. As for the os, there are more and more games coming out that are windows vista only so you will also have to decide for yourself about the os.

if you are going to upgrade ur cpu in less then a year go with the e8400, if not get the q6600. An 8800gt 512mb would be fine for you. That is a good psu, or if you want modular you can get the 520hx instead. If your getting 4gb ram then its better to get 2x2gb instead of 4x1 because dual channel will be faster only using 2 slots. The case is really up to you. As for the os, there are more and more games coming out that are windows vista only so you will also have to decide for yourself about the os.

plus you have more upgrade options with 2x2gb, but I don't know why anybody would want to go past 4gb though

lol i have seen a few people with 8 gb's ram lol,that is such a newb move because once you get to 4gb the difference is barely noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom