is this OC'able

Status
Not open for further replies.

solidsteve

Daemon Poster
well i am currently getting parts for my new pc but i hit a little snag with money so i'm thinking of putting a slight bit on this pc and OCing what i have

this is the mobo i have
Asus A7N8X-X

this is my chip
cpu.jpg

this is the 3 upgrades i'm doing

Ram (either 2 or 3 for 1gb or 1.5gb)
Arianet 512MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (DDR400) - Aria Technology

GPU (better then the radeon 9600 i have at the min)
Sapphire ATi Radeon X1650PRO 512MB AGP - Aria Technology

HSF (so i can oc)
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 PRO PWM - Aria Technology

right what i want to know is would i be able to OC this system and how far, i kind of hopeing i can get it to the gears of war minimum spec's (2.4ghz chip, 1gb ram and x800+ gpu)

i'll also be giveing to it my sister after i get my new one up and running so i kind of need it to last as well

Well first of all, that heatsink isnt compatible with your mobo. You have socket A, the oldest it supports is 754. Its also a 4 pin pwm connector, not a 3pin.

We cant tell you how far it can oc, as thats limited by the mobo, your power supply, the type of cooling, and ram.

Dont count on gears or war looking good or anything, and i dunno about framerates either, cpu might hold you back alot.

Yup even with a good graphics card (3850 agp) it would still lag cause of the cpu. If it were at least an X2 3800+, you would be ok for a while.

I tried BF2 for this PC, but after running BF2 (1.8ghz), it lags more than freaking Halo does... and its not stable at 1.8ghz anymore :(

yeah ok

i've had a few family members suggest i just put the money elsewhere as well

would of been good but doomed from the start

bad mobo, value ram, stock hsf... and p4's run extremely hot, so they don't oc well unless you get good cooling on them.

lol... you must be terrible at overclocking 0_0

p4's are known for their bejesus overclocks...

I once pushed a Core 2 Duo e4300 to 3.4ghz, a X2 3600+ Brisbane to 3.1 ghz, I don't think I'm crap at overclocking

but I have run SuperPI stably at 1.8ghz, now stupid BF2 messed it up :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom