Kingston RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
it was ddr2 and ddr3 not ddr and ddr2 :|

but yea, work my way up from here. But I'm pretty sure i'm sticking with this RAM. I know it's probably a bad thing, but It's expensive enough..so if I do change it'll be something cheaper. I like the speed of this RAM (it matches the FSB of the CPU too) so i think i'll stick with it

:p but yea anyway it's stupid to have combo. It would end up just dragging the DDR3 down to the speed of the DDR2 (if you even had both types in the board at same time)

When you see a board with two different types of dimm slots you have to choose between the two since you can only run one type or the other. You can't run both types at the same time. The board will adjust itself according to what memory is installed.

If you install PC2-8500 memory on a board like the Foxconn model you had picked out before where the memory standard is PC2-6400 you would see that slowed down from the 1066mhz speed down to the slower memory's stock speed supported by the board.

hmm, I'm fairly sure that u can run both typs of ram on a combo board, but the type with the highest speed will downclock to the lowest speed... i'll have to look into that.

On a board like that it simply allows using one type or the other not both at the same time. Mixing different speeds of the same type of memory will see the faster memory run at the slower memory's speed. You never mix two different types of memory however.

That's a screen capture and enlargement right out of the user manual for the Foxconn board seen there.

hmm... i always thought u could use both at the same time. There really is no point to get a combo board then unless you are going to use ddr2 but want to upgrade to ddr3 when prices come down but don't want to upgrade your motherboard.

wow that's kinda stupid. But it guess it is meant for a future proof-type board so you wouldn't have to upgrade it for when you got around to buying DDR3

Being that the DDR3 boards are just being seen the prices are up there as well as the new memory since that always holds value when brand new. You see PC100 and PC133 memory catching a high price simply for being kept instock at various vendors.

The combo type board allows you to replace a bad board if one goes or simply upgrading with a newer one that will still run the memory you have if you can't rush right after the newer faster memory at that time. Most will simply go for a single type board when planning a new case however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom