Exchange Server 2007 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timaphillips

In Runtime
I'm looking into buying Exchange Server 2007 for my small business (all 5 of us). I've got the pricing down so far to one standard server license and 5 standard CAL's. My questions are as follows:

1. Do I need to install it on a dedicated server or can I install it on all 5 separate computers in our office PLUS a few additional laptops for the road warriors (outlook web access) and for home use?

2. Will it work on 32x systems?

3. Do I need to buy additional services for our blackberry's to work with it?

4. Will it work with GMAIL accounts? Comcast accounts?

5. Have I lost my mind?

If i am not mistaken Exchange Server is only to be install on your Mail Server. It is not to be installed on a desktop or laptop. You would use Outlook or Outlook Express to connect to the Exchange Server.

It should work on 32 Bit systems.

Exchange 2007 System Requirements

According to the website it does work on any system. As long as you are runnign Server 2003 or Server 2008.

It will only work with your office email stuff. It is not a Mail Getting application. It is a Mail Server application. You must think it is like Outlook. It isnt. It is the server like GMail or Comcast to send out the emails. If you forward your GMail and Comcast to the email system there it will be just fine. But i dont think you can connect that to those accounts at all.

5.) Maybe. but then again haven't we all lost our mind?

I finally got a decent answer out of Microsoft. Turns out it's not gonna work unless I have a dedicated server and a host of other requirements that just aren't worth it to share calendars and outlook folders remotely, etc. That's what Google is for I suppose.

If i am not mistaken Exchange Server is only to be install on your Mail Server. It is not to be installed on a desktop or laptop. You would use Outlook or Outlook Express to connect to the Exchange Server.

It should work on 32 Bit systems.

Exchange 2007 System Requirements

According to the website it does work on any system. As long as you are runnign Server 2003 or Server 2008.

It will only work with your office email stuff. It is not a Mail Getting application. It is a Mail Server application. You must think it is like Outlook. It isnt. It is the server like GMail or Comcast to send out the emails. If you forward your GMail and Comcast to the email system there it will be just fine. But i dont think you can connect that to those accounts at all.

5.) Maybe. but then again haven't we all lost our mind?

no, 2007 is only 64-bit.
Microsoft offers the 32-bit for testing purposes only. it cannot be used as a full production box.
says it about 1/4 the way down under hardware

I'm looking into buying Exchange Server 2007 for my small business (all 5 of us). I've got the pricing down so far to one standard server license and 5 standard CAL's. My questions are as follows:

1. Do I need to install it on a dedicated server or can I install it on all 5 separate computers in our office PLUS a few additional laptops for the road warriors (outlook web access) and for home use?

2. Will it work on 32x systems?

3. Do I need to buy additional services for our blackberry's to work with it?

4. Will it work with GMAIL accounts? Comcast accounts?

5. Have I lost my mind?

1. it needs to be installed on 2003/2008 server. outlook connects to exchange. this is how users get their email.

2. testing purposes only. not for full production. M$ is toying with the idea of putting it to 32-bit though.

3. that i'm not sure. there is a comparison guide from M$ with all the exchange features of 2000/2003/2007, Microsoft Exchange Server: Exchange Server Version Comparison
it doesn't say anything about blackberries, however if you have windows mobile w/ outlook i'm 5 nine sure it works.

4. edit: N/M Maka explained it.

5. yes, and just to make you lose your mind even more....read the Deploy Exchange Server 2007 Guide....my head literally hurt after
Deploy Exchange Server 2007

2007 to me doesn't seem.....worth upgrading to yet.
2000 (just make sure it's fully patched) or 2003 will do anything you want.

you only have 5 people so you only need Standard Edition - 2000 supports 16gig, 2003 sp2 supports 74gig (need hack from Microsoft, searchable) for their email database size.

edit:
there is also OpenXchange, Linux based email servers - a lot cheaper. you can get a fully installed version Express Edition that runs under Ubuntu and ALL admin functions are web based. no need to have Linux experience at all.

you can use Thunderbird or Outlook (with Oxtender plugin) for the users or simply use web based all the time.

only problem is the database size doesn't handle anywhere near as MS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom