Problem With Installing Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
GParted doesn't drivers since it's self contained. Once you grab the slider or increase the space following the Vista primary you simply click on the "apply" button on the menu bar. A confirmation prompt will then appear where you answer yes to that.

Following the confirmation you will see another small popup appear with a small tab going back and forth. That reminds you of the first splash screen seen when loading Windows up there letting you know it's busy at work putting the change into effect.

As far the drivers needed they are found on the mother board cd or at the manufacturer's support site. In order to slipstream the contents of a Windows disk and the drivers you have to have at least a cd burner for XP. On a case without a burner ut oh...! :confused: That's where you put a 3 1/2" to 5 1/4" drive bay adapter into one of the upper drive bays to see a floppy drive added.

Ok, here is the problem I'm having with GParted.

I can resize the HP_Recovery, but not the NTFS. Here is the message I get when I double click the partition. (Part of it)

Error: NTFS is inconsistent. Run chkdsk if on windows then reboot twice. (how do I run chkdsk)

The usage of this parameter is very IMPORTANT! No modification was and will be made to NTFS by this software until it gets reparied.

Unable to read the contents of this filesystem!

I just do the auto configuration when the screen pops up (the one where you can choose to boot from what partition you want)

Don't resize it right now. Try to format it and erase all data on there.

Well you want to do this cause the error you are getting is something that you need to use Windows for. Sorry i did not realize you have Vista. So what you need to do is go into Computer. Right click on the drive and select Properties. There you should see a Tools tab. There you will see Error Checking. Run that. It will require a restart. This will check the dis for errors. This will stop GParted from giving you that error when you try to resize.

The reason i said to format as it would get around having to check the disc with the Error Checking. It would just fully format the disc and get rid of any issues on it.

I did what you said, tried it with the disc in and it would not do the error checking because with teh disc it loads somethign up at the start. When I take the disc out it will do it, but it stops at 1%. I tried going into BIOS to change the boot sequence, but I guess I cant do that on a manufactered HP. Any suggestions?

BTW, under the check disc tab, there are two options.

1. Automatically fix filesystem erros
2.Scan for an attempt recovery of bad sectors

1 is automatically checked, do I want to check 2?

The first thing that comes to mind here would simply wiping the drive to start over fresh by creating two brand new primaries. You would first install XP onto the second one to be followed by a clean install of Vista on the first if you were working with a custom build and full install disk for each version.

When going to shrink a primary you first have to make sure there's actually plenty of free drive space available first. That's why Makaveli213 was advising a reformat of the existing primary to avoid problems shrinking a volume currently loaded with files. You wouldn't have to worry about the check disk utility with fresh install.

I do have plenty of free space, about 200gb worth.

I'll reformat, I really don't care. I just want to get this to work. I have no problem downloading everything again.

I only have one partition, since I cant seem to make another one atm. So how do I wipe vista off my computer so I can insert the fresh copy of XP to start? Also, do I sitll need to get the updated drivers if I want to install XP first?

I wont be around till later tonight EST to be available on MSN.

But you will want to use GParted to wipe all the partitions out. From there create all the partitions you want. Create them the size you want. Make sure you format them to NTFS. Then install XP first and then Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom