ram help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mweir_03

Beta member
I have 512mb of ram installed on my computer but it is only reonginzing 448mb. Does anyone know why this is happening?

The MB that is missing is what is being used by your OS (Windows). The 448MB is what is available.

The rest is used for onboard video which shares your system RAM. If you check your video properties you will see you are using 64MB of RAM for your video which is taken from your system RAM.

Let me rephrase what I am trying to say.

when i go to control panel, system, and than under genral tab it only states 448mb of RAM. I was told that it should say 512. The reason I am asking is some of the games I have on my computer that require 512mb are no longer working becasue that is saying 448mb. Do I need to just purchase more memory?

that or a video card. you post was answered correctly. if you use a video card, all of your ram go back to being your ram. on some new mobo's you have to go to the bios and change the memory allocated to the video card. but most mobo's automatically do it for you when it see the new video card

I answered your question. Read about onboard and shared graphics.

Integrated graphics solutions

Integrated graphics solutions, or shared graphics solutions are graphics processors that utilize a portion of a computer's system RAM rather than dedicated graphics memory. Such solutions are less expensive to implement than dedicated graphics solutions, but at a trade-off of being less capable. Historically, integrated solutions were often considered unfit to play 3D games or run graphically intensive programs such as Adobe Flash[citation needed]. (Examples of such IGPs would be offerings from SiS and VIA circa 2004.)[3] However, todays integrated solutions such as the Intel's GMA X3000 (Intel G965), AMD's Radeon X1250 (AMD 690G) and NVIDIA's GeForce 7050 PV (NVIDIA nForce 630a) are more than capable of handling 2D graphics from Adobe Flash or low stress 3D graphics[citation needed]. Of course the aforementioned GPUs still struggle with high-end video games. Modern desktop motherboards often include an integrated graphics solution and have expansion slots available to add a dedicated graphics card later.
As a GPU is extremely memory intensive, an integrated solution finds itself competing for the already slow system RAM with the CPU as it has no dedicated video memory. System RAM may be 2 GB/s to 12.8 GB/s, yet dedicated GPUs enjoy between 10 GB/s to over 100 GB/s of bandwidth depending on the model.
Older integrated graphics chipsets lacked hardware transform and lighting, but newer ones include it.[4]

As i said and now highlighted. You onboard GFX is shared and using part of your system RAM. Get a GFX card or more RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom