Problem With Installing Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doer.

Baseband Member
When I put the CD in and wait for the screen to pop up that ask if I want to set up windows or do a recovery, I can click either one, and it will tell me there are no hard disc drives. I have Vista on this computer, so I don't know if that makes any difference. I basically want two OS on this PC, but I keep getting that message. Any ideas why I'm getting this?

Have you created a second primary partition for XP to go onto? Being that Vista is a newer version of Windows the XP installer is looking for a place to copy the setup files to.

Without a fresh primary to go on the XP installer is looking the Vista primary as being not available. You would first have to shrink down the Vista primary in order to see a new one created for XP.

I always thought I can create a second partition from the next screen. How do i do what you said?

Is this on a custom build or prebuild? For a prebuilt system with Vista already on you would need a 3rd party partitioning tool to first shrink the single primary down far enough to see the second partition created. Even a custom build the XP installer is not finding any place to copy files to since a newer version of Windows is already installed on the one primary found.

You may have to use a drive tool like GParted to see that done first. Once the Vista primary is reduced in size you can also use that to see the second one created. If you have the full install disk for Vista the drive tools there can shrink the current volume down as well where you can then see the second one created.

The other typical problem when going to install XP is seen with sata drives where you often need a driver disk prepared for the onboard controllers where you press the F6 key on the first screen to have the installer copy and load them. From there the XP installer will suddenly start seeing a drive present.

In some cases you would use the press S for special devices if an older Sata I type drive is present and select the closest chipset from a list to what the specifications for the board show. I bailed a friend out when even a driver floppy was found useless for seeing XP go on a brand new at the time where one floppy after another download of the drivers failed to see results. Once selecting the VIA chipset for the Asus A8V model board XP suddenly saw the drive and installed onto it.

Once a second partition is created after shrinking the current primary down you can even use the Disk Management in Vista to see the new primary formatted while that can now be done with Vista's own installation disk. The XP installer will then see a primary and proceed to the "to install now press enter" screen and onto the next where you then select the partition/drive to see XP installed to.

You dont have the SATA drivers needed. That is why Vista installed cause it comes with generic SATA drivers on the DVD while there are no SATA drivers on the XP CD. SATA was not out when XP came out. You have to get the drivers and either use the F6 to install 3rd party software method or go into the index and read the topic by EricB on how to keep Windows fast and stable. He gives a in depth explination on how to get drivers and slipstream them into your install.

With most boards the software disk will have a tool for seeing a driver disk made up. The make and model board can also play a role in this as well. The last build with a Socket 939 board required a driver disk for XP while Vista went on without a hitch.

For the current build seeing an AM2 model board XP goes right on without anything needed. The last build here was fun since the floppy used had to formatted while booting up with the board's cd and using the tool there followed by booting into Windows to then see the drivers placed on the disk by the tool. If you tried seeing it formatted in Windows it wouldn't work.

Well the issue is the drives are not being seen at all. Even if a partition wasnt not created for XP it would have at least seen the Vista partition. Or the Recovery Partition. Since it does not the drivers needed to see the drives are not there.

It can included on the disc all you want. But the fact is that there is no XP isntall that lets you use a CD as a driver install sounce while trying to install from the CD itself. Hence why my answer was what it was. I stand by it cause i have this great feeling that it is right. After the drivers get added i will worry about the partition's and format issue as that is not of a concern right now until you can even get the install to recognize them.

The sata drivers for the board itself can be placed on a floppy as the usual and burned to a cd-r if and this if you have second optical drive only. When you press the F6 option for loading Sata/Raid drivers you manually browse to the floppy drive or the second optical drive if one is installed to see the installer copy and load them.

The way the floppy is prepared can sometimes be a problem. That was seen with the last board here where you first booted up with the board's software disk to see the blank floppy formatted with the create disk tool. From there you booted back into Windows to use the create option to see the driver go onto the floppy there not while booting from board cd.

That was rare! Most of the time you just simply toss a floppy in and simply use the create option. The problem however is once the installer sees the drive there's no option for shrinking the current primary with the limitatitions seen with the XP installer.

MS never threw much into that while Vista can resize as well as separately format a partition without a complete install or with the Disk Management tool. With XP you still need a 3rd party tool for shrinking the primary. ut oh...!

That is even if you have a floppy drive to use. Even a external floppy will cause you grief. So therefor the slipstream method i mentioned will be the best option. As a floppy drive is very old tech and very few people use them anymore. Even my machine done 5 years ago doesnt have a floppy drive.

Hence why i stated where to get the info on how to slipstream.

This is FANTASTIC advice, thank you guys. However, it raises a few questions. Where do I get tehse updates to install to the CD? Also, I happened to try GParted and when I go into the screen to resize, (I see the Vista partition and recovery partition) it will nto let me resize it. It simply just doesn't resize (I do click the resize button and get teh pop up window). I'm assuming this is because I don't have the updated drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom