Overclocking the sh*t out of a Radeon 9800 PRO

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag3

Fully Optimized
What's up everyone...

I am in the process of buying a MASSIVE heatsink kit (VGA). It has heat pipes and everything. I have checked it out and it is fully compatible with my Radeon 9800 PRO.

Once I mount this heatsink onto my Radeon, will I be able to do some SERIOUS overclocking? I'd like to get it running at the stock speed of an X800, if not more.

Thx for your time, I really appreciate it.

I doubt it since the X800 has 16 pipelines and the 9800 Pro only has 8... but I don't know enough to be certain on anything. Good luck with whatever you do though!

Could I potentialy overclock as high as I wanted to as long as I have sufficient cooling?

Have any of you ever replaced the heatsink/fan on your card?

And how safe is overclocking? Is heat the only hazard?

What ever you do - don't overclock the Memory speed too much.

I've seen so many people do it, and regret it. Usually all GPU overclocks gone bad from what i seen (clients) are from memory frequency overclocks.

With your heatsink you should be fine though, just read up on it before you do it. Increase the speed slowly and surely until you have a stable speed and once you do that run a graphical intense game for 1 hour and if it works fine (No stutters, Rips, Or Overheating) then your at a comfortable speed.

lol. overclocking has a bit to do with cooling, but only if you get it to those speeds. More often than not, you have to worry about ARTIFACTS more than anything. These are little problems that you see when playing games if you have your card overclocked. The best you can get out of the radeon 9800 PRO is about 420 CORE and 360 MEM. i know cause i have one. After this you start getting problems with games. This is about an overclock of 40 Mhz for core and 20 Mhz for Mem. Stock cooling keeps my card cool at these overclocked speeds after extended use. Instead of spending money on this heat kit, just buy a better vid card. youll get MUCH better results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom