Sudden Shutdown after start-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProjectSW

Solid State Member
Hello everyone,

This problem started about one or two days ago and is slightly different from other problems on the computer shutting down after start-up.

Basically, when I turn on the computer, everything seems to be running smoothly. I have a see-through case and I can see that all the fans are running. After my motherboard loading screen and the Windows loading screen run, I am taken to the Windows log-in page. I type my password and I see my desktop. Then, after one or two seconds of seeing my desktop, Windows takes me to a "Please wait..." screen while it saves my settings and then says that it is shutting down. However, I did not order a shutdown or configure anything in the computer which may instruct the computer to shut down automatically.

Oddly, sometimes my computer does not experience this problem. Other times, at random, my computer does this.

Could a virus do this?

My computer was custom made about two years ago, and I have not changed anything internally since then. My average CPU temperature as recorded in the BIOS is around 73°C. Here are the specs:

Pentium D 3.4 GHz
Asus P5WD2E Premium motherboard
1 GB of Crucial DDR2 800 MHz RAM
Western Digital 320 GB @ 16 MB/s HD
ATI X1600 512 MB RAM
Antec 500W PSU
5 fans (Stock CPU, PSU fan, 3 additional fans)

Thank you very much.

73 is a very high temp. So it could be overheating. Espically with the other parts giving off heat as well.

So lets start at the beginning. Go to the Virus area. About 4 forums down from this Windows one. In there you will see a sticky called Spyware Removal Guide by Osiris. Go thru that guide. Post a HiJack This log in the Analyze area that is in that forum.

LEts start with the basics first and make sure you dont have any spyware.

Also before you do that can you answer 1 question. Does it shut down correctly? I mean it could just be that it crashed and didnt shut down so the last command it remembers is the shut down command and that is why after you log i it shuts down right away.

Hello there,

Thanks for your reply!

Even when the computer is experiencing this problem, it shuts down normally. Before the problem arose, I have never had any crashes with my computer.

I will proceed with checking the spyware now.

That would be the first thing i would think of. Spyware or viruses. That area and that guide will clean them all off if there are any. After you get a clean bill of health from Osiris come on back and we will try to figure this one out for you. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom