Hard Drive Beeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcortes

Fully Optimized
The other day my friend knocked his external hard drive off the desk and then it started to not show up in my computer anymore and it started to beep. So we broke it out of the external enclosure and connected it with an IDE cable thinking it was the case that was beeping but its the hard drive itself. Any ideas of how i can get the comp to recognize it and get the data off.

External drives are sata unless you are using an external drive bay that plugs into a usb port. If that was a factory sealed external usb even eSata, 1394 firewire type of drive the worst poissible thing was removing it out of the original casing.

The beeping sound is probably letting you know that the drive is now toast from the impact of being dropped or some connection to the controller card was broke as a result of the fall. By removing it from the original casing matters are even worse now.

I don't see the problem with removing the hard drive from the enclosure.

Jcortes, more information. Is this a retail external hard drive, or is this a hard drive which has been put into an external enclosure?

As eyeCpc said, the impact may have damaged it.

What make and model is the drive itself? The product information along will show what little if anything can be tried out before besides a professional service where they recover directly from the drive's platters.

its a Seagate similar to the one in the link below. There is nothing wrong with taking the drive out of the enclosure either i have done it before on this exact drive as a matter of fact and had no problems hooking it to a motherboard as an IDE slave. I am willing to bet its the drive heads or something that is broken but i just wanted to double check before I call it quits.

http://www.seagate.com/images/support/en/us/external.gif

They definitely beep. Wouldn't have believed it until about an hour ago when my drive started doing it. Now it won't detect and it beeps at me. Its kinda loud and it gives me a headache.

This is the deal. Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9. 80GB. Connected with an external USB enclosure. A fews days ago I turned it on and it didn't come up. It clicked. Real quiet, but definitely a click...click...click... So I read some stuff on clicking and figured it was the head on platter deal. So I froze the thing. Unfortunately I found out too late that it wasn't the problem. It wasn't spinning up. I opened it up and spun it myself. Once it started it kept going and I thought I was in the clear. Then the heads hit some ice that had built on the platter. Not how I expected it to go. I thawed it out before trying again. Now the thing just beeps. I'm going to keep trying, maybe pull off the controller and replace it. All I have is Maxtor drives of different sizes but I'm going to try it anyway and I'll let you know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom