Windows 2004 media center

Status
Not open for further replies.
So your saying get the parts to fix it and then mess around with it.... well I would but I thought you had to get custom order parts from e-machines for that computer. Is that correct? Or could I just get the part that is broken and replace it?

Well, I looked at the computer today and my dad watns to know if I should get the computer or not. What do you think of that computer? Is it a good deal? Will I have trouble with it later on?

Can someone answer my question? Should I purchase the computer or not? I cant build the computer unfourtanetly

I have a similar computer (Gateway) with windows media center. I wouldn't depend on it for tv, as the video can get really choppy sometimes, and not sync up with the sound.

Just to throw some more ideas around, this is the computer im thinking about getting-
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=313773&pfp=BROWSE

I can understand how you could be nervous to work on a computer at your age. Try not to let it frustrate you, i used to be the same way. Fortunatley computer parts are cheaper these days and things really aren't as complicated as we make them seem.

And the e-machines motherboard could be replaced easily with something better. Not sure what processor it takes, but you could look on ebay for some used ones that are compatible. Most manufacturer motherboards limit you with a wimpy BIOS that won't let you overclock or do anything fun.

I am all for builiding the computer. My dad does not want to do it. And my father does not want to get AMD. He is paying for half this computer so he has the say in it. He has never used AMD, can you tell me, what you prefer, AMD or intell and why?

I am AMD fan for many reasons. But don't get me wrong, Intel makes good stuff. My mom has a P4 2.4 overclocked to 2.8 with no problems.

- AMD is based out of TX :)
- AMD 64 leaves you with 64bit compatibility when Windows 64 arrives
- AMD 64 chips benchmark much higher than equivelent P4's. A 2.0ghz AMD64 is the equivelent to about a P4 2.6, and in some area's even their 3.0ghz chip. Your getting A LOT more for your money, in my opinion.

If you want a fun little project, you can order a Amd XP barton processor and overclock the heck out of it. The labtop version of the chip (barton) draws much less power, so it dosen't run as hot.

But hey I could go on and on. I suggest reading Tom's Hardware and Anandtech for some benchmark comparison's. You'll find that AMD has come a long way. It was probably near bankrupt in the mid 90s, but now, they arguably have the upper-hand on Intel.

This may be off topic a little but i was reading Wired and found this.

It's the smartest idiot box on the block - a 40-inch flat-screen TV that doubles as a 3-GHz Windows Media PC. Behind the LCD lies a 200-gig hard drive, built-in 802.11g support, and a DVD burner - all of which can be accessed from the included wireless keyboard and mouse (not shown). Catch the latest Sealab 2021, record it, rip it to disc, and surf for the skinny on next week's story line from the comfort of your recliner.
Lumina: $4,750, www.elonex.co.uk

taken form here: http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.07/play.html?pg=7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom