computer locks up randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you tried installing the latest Via 4 IN 1 drivers?

I had this problem before, twice and once was solved by replacing the PSU then the next was solved by replacing the memory. But this is not your problem so...Have you overclocked anything lately? Does your sound loop as well?

Have you tried a Virus scan? You say when your using it...Could be that a component in your computer is going bad (hd, cpu) Do you hear any noises when this happens? Checked the cabling? Runned ScanDisk?

i dont know if the sound loops, there are no viruses, i havent installed the via in 1 drivers, i havent overclocked anything. ill try seeing if the sound loops. also, ive just intsalled redhat linux 9, and it hasnt locked up so far in linux (2 days). it usually locks up at least 3x a day in windows. could it be the way the os uses the hardware?

yea im thinking that too. but then y doesnt it lock up in linux. puzzling stuff. it also doesnt lock up when i run the ultimate boot cd in dos. that stresses the hdd and tests it for failure. it seems perfectly fine. and i did the SMART test that western digital drives have, and it passes.

ok i also just noticed something else. u know the sound the hdd makes when u boot up, the high pitched noise which is the disks accelerating. well i hear that sound 1 second before it freezes. and the sound doesnt loop by the way. everything just stops. im going to try putting in another hdd. but it still puzzles me why it doesnt lock up in the other environments where the hdd is locking up.

oops i mean why doesnt it lock up in the other environments where the hdd is being used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom