Problems with Mother board

Status
Not open for further replies.

crash32

Beta member
I have a machine in which the user had an issue with powering down. She had a number of applications going and powered down by pulling the plug. when I got the computer, I could boot in safe mode but it would only go so far booting regularly and hang up. Because of the nature of the issue I figured I would start from the easiest piece of hardware, the power supply. Upon testing it, I found it was bad. I purchased a new one and installed it. This board is an intel board requiring a 24 pin main board power plug and a 4 pin 12v plug. When powering up with the 4 pin plug installed, it will turn the fans over and then die. In my experimentation I pulled the 4 pin power and then the machine will run. The only issue is it won't even try to post. In fact I don't even have video to see the post. It has integrated video so I installed a stand alone pci-express card to the same result. Does anyone have an idea what might be goign on?? The machine is a gateway 420 gr. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Mike

It would post and only go into safe mode. Now it won't post with either the old or the new power supply. The machine will turn on without the 12v 4pin but not with it plugged in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom