Heatsink Problem:Monitor not reacting

Status
Not open for further replies.

PunkGo

Beta member
ok, now...my computer was working perfectly fine, but it would restart in games, so i researched it...and it was gettng a little hot, so took it out, and took off the fan, and smeared some thermal compound on there, then put it back on, and it would not start up...the fans would go on, and it sounded like it was runniong, but the monitor did not respond. so went and got bros comp and hooked it up..his worked fine. so i took off the fan and replaced it with mine...still didnt fix my computer, and then switched them back.,..now my bros comp wont work! went up and bought a new motherboard, that didnt work...went up and got a new processor..that didnt change anything, and got a new fan...so im thinking it HAS to be the heatsink....but how am i applying the compound wrong? i put a thin layer on the bottom of the heat sink..then a think layer on the little extended rectangle on the processor...help please.

did u take propper percaution's when fiddling around inside the comp? like unplugging it from the wall outlet, and not working on it ontop of a rug while your wearing sox?

well....if ur thinking it would have made some sort of shock, then no there was no shock, i have fiddeled with comp on this rug many times, and nothing has happened yet.

note- u cannot see all shocks.. u can only take the proper percautions to avoid damage.

now, i just realized...arctic 5 is the basic compound used and contains NO silicone...the compound im using, and didnt realize is silicone based...could this be a problem?

did u try using the monitor ona different computer, to rule out the monitor as the problem?

wat exactly is not working on your computer... just the monitor? or the cpu fan also? do u hear the HD spin up and do u c the HD LED respond?
--------------------------------------------------
if u alreay ruled out the monitor, try switching the your vid card with your bro's pc, to rule out the vid card.

check the fan plug. newer systems, if the fan is not properly plugged, will not start or if they do immediatly shut off. We have some at work where if any of the wires (on these there is a few for power, ground, monitor) it would not boot. also make sure that you didn't somehow ground to the case.

before applying any thermal compund, clean it with isoprophyl alcohol.

and if (assuming u r applying arctic silver or even arctic alumina) a half grain of rice is enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom