? about IDE HDD and Dvd-rom, Primary/secondary/master/slave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffrock

In Runtime
Hey everyone,
I have a couple rather noobish questions. I am currently building my 1st PC and have some really basic questions.
1) I have two IDE hard drives (80gb and 40 gb, both 7200 rpm). I plan on running the OS (XP Pro) on the 80gb hd. My question is: Should I run the 80gb hard drive in the primary master, or primary slave (or other?) Likewise, should I hook up the other hdd on the same primary cable?
2) I also have a dvdrw, and a cd-rom I will be using. Should I attach these on the secondary? I am just not sure if there is a way to maximize performance through primary, secondary, master, slave, etc. Perhaps I should run the OS on the 40gb hdd?
3) My final question is: I have 5 fans on my case. I was planning on hooking them all up on the same power supply cord, one after the other. Is this ok, or is there a limitation to the number of things you can daisy-chain together? Keep in mind it will just be case fans on that one chain, not my vid card. Thanks for any replies!
-Jeff

here's how u do it, your primary hard drive(80gb) set that to master on ide1(primary ide controller). put your cd-rom on the slave of the same ide1 as your primary hard drive.

this one doesn't really matter as much, but put your dvdrw on your ide2(secondary ide controller) to slave and your data hard drive(40gb) as master.

try your best to split up the fan power connectors, you don't want to many devices requesting power from a few cables.

if you have anymore questions, i'm sure someone here will answer it for you.

Thanks guys. I will do as you said. One more question: I noticed with my mobo (Asus P4P800e dlx) it came with 3 IDE cables. 2 of these were labeled HDD cable (they have the grey connecter in the middle for the slave) and the other IDE was labeled CD-rom cable. Upon inspection they seem to be the exact same regarding pin placement, etc. Is there any difference between the cables? You guys rock, thanks for the fast replies!
-Jeff

your welcome.

does the cd-rom cable have a connector for slave??

i don't know about these cables u speak of. i guess i have to do a little researching.

Ya, I thought it was awful strange. No mention of it in the mobo manual, etc. They look the exact same, and the cd-rom cable does have a connector for a slave device too. I am guessing they are the same exact thing, maybe Asus did it to help label the peripherals so as not to confuse people?
Thanks again.
-Jeff

oh, on the other ribbon, does the ribs seem smaller... as in more wire in the ribbon itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom